Overvaluing AK

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have something like 15bb or less i like to 4-bet-shove if you are the original raiser... otherwise i'd go all in depending on the stack of the villain

we are talking cash where normally everybody is 200bb deep

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash game just call and see what will I get on the flop and on tournament it depends. If it's freeroll then go all in and if it is paid tourney, play like in cash games.

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As usualy you have to always detect types of players at your table..follow the action and then decide what to do with ur hand..sometimes you can fold JJ QQ ..as usualy it depends

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A K can be awesome and devastating.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I hate it especially when I'm short stacked in a tournament. With i.e. 6 BB left, you have no option but to shove. Yesterday it got kicked out by 22.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I love AK especially SS in a tournament, doesn't matter if 22 holds against you, just gii and smile :)

Cash game I would normally just call the 4bet shove, if you are playing a 2nl game and you have $2, then you should be prepared to gii with this hand, if you are scared to call that shove then you are playing out of your BR. If you know villian to be a nit, then yes you can get away from it, I would probably still call tho and make a note of what his 4bet shoving range is, and like I said if you are using a 20x BI it's not going to hurt your BR.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your scared to play AK,,,at any time,hang em up and take up darts. :deal:

Being scared and understanding that it's not a made hand are two different things. Keep in mind that many hands are beating AK preflop and you have to hit to win. It's also dominated in certain situations so I wouldn't advise going in "guns a'blazing" at any time with AK.

2dizzYMATH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK Is very tricky and leads into alot of weird spots imo. Regarding what to do on a 4bet i would say it depends on vilain but i would mostly fold to any tight players especially out of position. I would call a 4bet only against specific players who i know have a loose 4betting range

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you say cash games, what levels are you talking about? In micros, I doubt even a 4-bet shove would dissuade a player whose favourite cards are 22 or 67suited etc. Everyone can afford to risk losing a $2 buy-in for sh!ts and giggles but people will pause and think before risking losing a full day's wage specially at an online poker game where you don't physically see your opponent and have no tells on him based on the visual information about him/her in the midst of your fight for the pot.

J

JCMystery

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on player positioning I would fold AK pre-flop. Depending on the odds of other players betting big and hitting something on the flop, I would not guarantee AK as a win. However if the risk involved is only 5x-20x the big blind and does not put my chip-stack in jeopardy, I would call anything within this range since I have high over-cards. Gauging other player's card strengths vs. mine I would play accordingly.

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK kill me in last 3 tournaments.. vs AQ, 77 and 44.. just unlucky hand for me :(

2dizzYMATH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same busted last tornaments with AKs...QQ,JJ,KK

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively with AK in the tournament because many times they do not play such cards, I play cautiously in the cash game with AK I try not to raise much and see the flop and then decide how to continue