Option before a high pair in hand in poker

tipejo767

tipejo767

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on many occasions we are presented with high pair cards (aces). What do you consider to be the best option from your point of view, go all in or go up little by little to win more chips?

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
on many occasions we are presented with high pair cards (aces). What do you consider to be the best option from your point of view, go all in or go up little by little to win more chips?

In my opinion, aggressive play is more effective and promising in such cases. Our aggression in such situations allows us to be more productive.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High pair

What would i do, is when it is a Pair of 9 or more, i would 3BB or go all in, deoends on my stake, other pair i just call, if i hit trips or smaller cards then i raise if not i just fold.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer to go up a little by little to win more chips. preflop i would raise pot, flop and turn I would minimum raise, then river, I would all in.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many factors such as the opponent play-styles at this table, the effective chip stacks and even the current table images of everyone at the moment. With a big pair like AA, we are generally confident in building the pot early and trying to get as many chips into the pot as possible...but how to do this effectively is a skill in itself. Sometimes a standard raise preflop and then regular betting will do the trick and other times the ambitious All-in preflop will work. It depends on many factors.

What is more certain is that we rarely want to be slow playing our AA. Trapping has its place and can be effective once in a while, but the default should be raising and re-raising. AA doesn't come around that often and we need to make the best of the times they do come around even if that means occasionally we will raise preflop and everyone folds.

With a hand like AA or KK, we probably want to be in "ram and jam" mode and try to figure out how to get the most value as possible :cool:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands