Online help

R

rrg0323

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had the worst experience/luck with online poker....I'm not one of those people that think it's fixed BUT sometimes out of frustration I really question myself with that. I live close to AC and play live games but due to family obligations have been playing online a lot more so I can be home. I SUCK online. I'm a realist, I consider myself a good card player - I typically play an aggressive BUT tighter style of play, mixing in looser hands on the button.

Has anyone just had ZERO luck online? More frustrating then anything is the fact I never won a monster as I watch these other guys win these huge pots over and over. I had AA or KK 6 times in last night session and not one caller (made the blinds all 6 hands). Fast forward there are two or three players that seem to always have those same monster hands and have 2-3 caller with those second-best hands.

I guess I'm just venting but also looking for any general advice someone might have regarding my lack luster experiences online.

*I'm new the forum - Hello for NJ.

H

HellNative

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is you either haven't played much or else you're not a "good card player." It's not rigged, so it's either one of those two things.

I mean that relatively BTW. You might be a good in your live game but online is a different beast. If you're coming from 1/2 live and think you're going to crush 1/2 online you're mistaken. You'd probably do well to beat 10nl coming from 1/2 live.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing online since 2005 and I would Never attempt to discount the possibility of some plausible rigging of any sort what so ever.
There have been numerous “Past” documented instances of corruption on a number of online sites; no need to take my word, a simple google search will enlighten the dull and ignorant to these facts.
But in your current situation, there could be any number of factors involved with what you consider lack luster experiences, and “Yes” it is possible that you really suck………. lol
But in actuality you probably are just going through a rough patch.
To really judge on your assumptions, you will need thousands of hands to make any reasonable analysis of what you are experiencing ……. [IMHO].

H

HellNative

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, when I said "it's not rigged" I was speaking generally. It's not common that's all I'll say. If you stick with big sites like pokerstars it's just not going to be rigged, they make too much money from rake to jeopardise that. Like the poster above says it's more than likely you're either playing in pools that are above your current ability, or you just haven't built up a legit sample yet. Think 100k + hands, ideally more.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, when I said "it's not rigged" I was speaking generally. It's not common that's all I'll say. If you stick with big sites like Pokerstars it's just not going to be rigged, they make too much money from rake to jeopardise that. Like the poster above says it's more than likely you're either playing in pools that are above your current ability, or you just haven't built up a legit sample yet. Think 100k + hands, ideally more.
An intelligent individual would never assume what abilities or stakes I have play in.
To educate you, I have played and won in $1000.00 HeadsUp match, and many $500 sit & goes, and have been playing online since 2005.

So please refrain from lecturing me on my abilities.

Oh and by the way, if I include all the sites I have ever played on, the hands played would be over 2.5 Million

Last edited:
bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's get the facts right here and name some of the breakdowns that have happened in the industry:

1. Absolute Poker
2. Ultimate Bet
3. Pitbull Poker

These are three that I have personally been affected by. Do I think the bots are out there trying to scam you? - most likely not because it's easy to detect them like it is for them to operate. What I will say is that you just have to be careful online and trust companies like PokerStars who have a reputation that exceeds their wealth rather than cheating.

I'm sorry that you ran into some dirty hands and I've had it happen live where I get screwed every time for a whole night. Sometimes, that happens but I can understand your argument as I have been affected by the sites listed above.

H

HellNative

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An intelligent individual would never assume what abilities or stakes I have play in.
To educate you, I have played and won in $1000.00 HeadsUp match, and many $500 sit & goes, and have been playing online since 2005.

So please refrain from lecturing me on my abilities.

Oh and by the way, if I include all the sites I have ever played on, the hands played would be over 2.5 Million

FWIW, I don't know you or your history, so it should be very obvious I wasn't judging your actual level of play.

The same applies to the highest stakes available. If you play for millions of dollars online and you're not seeing success after "2.5m hands" then I think it's an appropriate assumption to suggest you may be playing over your head. DUCY?

It's very strange for someone to have played 2.5m hands online to come into a forum and question why nobody plays against their AA. It's basically the ultimate beginner question/statement, and any experienced player who has actually played millions of hands online knows that.

Call it intuition, call it experience, call it what you like, but my BS detector is going off strong with you. The are some things in life that you don't need an education for, but then I would say that, not being an "intelligent individual" and all...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
FWIW, I don't know you or your history, so it should be very obvious I wasn't judging your actual level of play.

The same applies to the highest stakes available. If you play for millions of dollars online and you're not seeing success after "2.5m hands" then I think it's an appropriate assumption to suggest you may be playing over your head. DUCY?

It's very strange for someone to have played 2.5m hands online to come into a forum and question why nobody plays against their AA. It's basically the ultimate beginner question/statement, and any experienced player who has actually played millions of hands online knows that.

Call it intuition, call it experience, call it what you like, but my BS detector is going off strong with you. The are some things in life that you don't need an education for, but then I would say that, not being an "intelligent individual" and all...

Here here! Agree with everything you've said here 100%. (I actually feel bad for NBB... but I feel like I've met him before... quite a few times tbh).

rrg, as was mentioned, online is generally much tougher than live. Comparing 1/2 to 10nl online sounds about right (depending upon the time of day, 10nl might be tougher actually).
I'd suggest starting off at the bottom & try to gradually move up. Good luck!