Omaha.... Very confused....

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right I understand Omaha very will but there 1 one thing which is confusing me....

Let so the hand is

A K 7 3

Flop is

Turn

River

That means he had made quads ? But why does not the 2 card rule kick in?

Or

Is the other card a kicker?

Hope someone can clear it up for me because its really bugging me!

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, that hand would be A K 3 3 3. Always 2 cards from the hand and 3 from the board, no exceptions.

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really wish i saved the hand when i hit quad 7's like that because it confused the hell out of me

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, that hand would be A K 3 3 3. Always 2 cards from the hand and 3 from the board, no exceptions.

This is not right you would have quads (A3333) A3 from your hand and 333 on the board.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not right you would have quads (A3333) A3 from your hand and 333 on the board.

Yes, you would. Silly of me. Didn`t read it properly due to the formatting (that`s my excuse, anyway). :(

M

mstram

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hmm, is it still "early in the morning for you" ? :D

Or do you get "mesmerized" by AK ? :D

Mike

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha CC

Right there is the hand I'm confused about...

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right there is the hand I'm confused about...

Ok, that`s 7 7 7 7 4. The best 3 cards from the board are 777, and from your hand they are 74 (it`s easier when I can see that clear presentation, lol).

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So one of the cards is used as a kicker then?

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I guess you can think of it that way, but I would say the easiest way to understand it is as the best 3 from the board plus the best 2 from your hand to make the best 5 cards overall.

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for clearing that up for me :D

I

insidetrk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup in omaha you use 3 cards on the board and 2 cards in your hand. So basically he used the 3 "3s" on the board along with the high card Ace and 3 for 4 of a kind in 3s.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Exactly - even if, as is the case here, the kicker you're playing (the next highest card in your hand, the four) is lower than the one on the board (the king).

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you played NL Holdem prior, omaha isn't a huge stretch as far as the rules are concerned. After a couple dozen hands you should be on the right track of how to play somewhat decently.

I was attempting to learn but Stars only offers omaha hi lo sit and gos, so you can imagine how the first couple sngs went. I was a bit confused, took a closer look at the rules and most of all, relied on the hand info on the table which tells you what your best hand is and if you have a qualifying low.

Anywhoo. Yeah. It's a bit confusing to start off, but you'll be playing semi decent in no time. real money is obviously a different story imo b/c almost everyone playing in the fake monies have no idea how to play omaha, not to mention hi lo. I'm going to try to find a program with play money omaha rings or sngs to practice in, not this hi lo jazz.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes think of it this way also say your holding K79J and villian is holding A946 and the board is 23929 you both have trip 9's but villan wins with a Ace kicker

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you played NL Holdem prior, omaha isn't a huge stretch as far as the rules are concerned. After a couple dozen hands you should be on the right track of how to play somewhat decently.

I was attempting to learn but Stars only offers omaha hi lo sit and gos, so you can imagine how the first couple sngs went. I was a bit confused, took a closer look at the rules and most of all, relied on the hand info on the table which tells you what your best hand is and if you have a qualifying low.

Anywhoo. Yeah. It's a bit confusing to start off, but you'll be playing semi decent in no time. Real money is obviously a different story imo b/c almost everyone playing in the fake monies have no idea how to play omaha, not to mention hi lo. I'm going to try to find a program with play money omaha rings or sngs to practice in, not this hi lo jazz.
Great Point, play money sucks.. The only good play money did for me was so i could learn the hands, that was it.
I went in to real money, found out i could do great. I will even do a SnG now and then..

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup in omaha you use 3 cards on the board and 2 cards in your hand. So basically he used the 3 "3s" on the board along with the high card Ace and 3 for 4 of a kind in 3s.

so you always have to use two cards from your hand? You couldn't ever just play the board?

J

joemac696969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I used to be confused when I first started to play Omaha. But I found it was pretty easy and did pretty good finished 7th in one of the FT freerolls.