Omaha Hi Lo

S

shachaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone...Would someone out there be able to explain in simple english on how you play the game Omaha. It seems very complicated...looking for your help...:confused:

Last edited:
Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah Omaha, I prefer it to holdem.

Basically its kinda the same as holdem with the exception that you have 4 cards instead of 2.

Now here is where it gets slightly more tricky, you HAVE to use TWO of your four cards and THREE from the board. There is no other way to make your hand, so for example you started with 3 aces in your hand then you can only use two of them and you don't in fact have 3 of a kind.

This means you need to pay attention to the board a bit more as well, if there are 4 cards from one suit then everyone can only still use 3 of those to make a flush.

Then basically the same as holdem the best 5 card hand wins the pot.

In Omaha HiLo 8 or better, things take a turn for being a tad more complex.

In hilo the pot is split between the highest hand and the lowest hand. Again you can still only use 2 of your own cards and 3 from the board. Though now as you are making a high and a low hand, you can use different combinations of the 2 from your hand and the 3 on the board. You don't have to use the same cards for your high and your low. One case where you would want to though is if you had the wheel (A2345) that would give you the best possible low hand and also a straight as your high hand.

Now there is more to making a low hand than you think, the clue being 8s or better. You only have a low hand if you have 5 cards that are less than or including an 8. Straights and flushes are ignored. So the best possible low as I mentioned was A2345 the next best is A2346. Of course this means there needs to be at least 3 cards 8 or lower on the board, if there isn't then no one can possibly have a low hand and the highest hand wins the whole pot.

So assuming 2 people have the high and the low, they then split the pot. If one person has the high and the low hand they win (scoop) the whole pot, which is very profitable. Should one person have the high and 2 people have the same low then the high gets half the pot and the 2 low hands get a quarter each.

So the aim really is to get the highest and the lowest hand in the same pot to win the whole thing.

Think thats enough for now before I fry yours and my brain. If you want any advice on starting hands and general strategy then just shout and I will follow this up with some more info.

S

shachaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha

Grumbledook,

Your explanation was terriffic & I thank you for that. If there are more strategies you can touch on, I & I'm sure fellow forum members would appreciate the info very much....thanks again for a lesson well explained!:D

S

Seth86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All right question... I was dealt k,9,5,2. THe flop hit 9,9,k. I went all in (no-limit) was called the other person had pocket queens. the turn hit with a queen. So now he has 3 queens.... or does he have queens full? i though he could only use 2 in his hand and one on the board.... am i right or wrong.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he has queens full, you use 2 from your hand and 3 from the board

so you had like you thought 999KK and he got QQQ99

you used the K and 9 from your hand with the K99 on the board and he used the QQ from his hand and the Q99 from the board

i've lost a lot this week in the same situation flopping a boat and then losing to a larger one after getting the money in :/

H

Heshkak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That also happens a lot in holdem where one person hits both his cards for the full house, and another hits his set plus the pair on the board. That one's hard to bet, usually someone loses all their money.

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talking about omaha

Hi all,
Thought I'd share this with you, I just had my wierdest day at noble, I started the day as I usually do, decided to play a $10 sit-n-go texas hold-em and couldn't hit anything and when I did it was second best hand, my full-house got beat by a better full-house and so on.
Ok so I get kicked out at 5th place, no worries i'll try another one, this time I get knocked out again in 5th place, now i'm having a bad poker day.
Well I only have just over $25 left in my account so I decide to play a $20 and call it a day, when I have a bad poker day I don't usually try to get my losses back, I just go back again the next day.
Ok so I see a $20 sit-n-go and it's nearly full so I quickly register and it takes me straight to the table, phew I think that was lucky, just made it as sometimes you have to wait ages to get into a $20 table.
Now my poker day just got worse, i'm dealt 4 cards and think wtf is this....I signed up with a omaha table and I hate this game, I wouldn't even enter $1 omaha game as I don't play it, I feel defeated before I start this tourney but I play anyway. Well to cut a long story short ( it's long enough already ) I won the tourney for $84, couldn't believe it. It was a huge mistake I made which rewarded me nicely so I left the poker alone for the rest of the day feeling lucky to be over $50 up.
Worse hand dealt at omaha? 4 of a kind :(

Tony ( The Webmaster )

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol nice one tony

never played a omaha tourny/sit and go, may have to give it a shot

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Omaha, but I confess that hi/lo I'm not a big fan....

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Omaha and Omaha H/L are great and exciting games but you need a lot of practice and disclipine. And yeah, you have to gamble a lot more often than in Holdem.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play omaha a lot but now it started to annoy me. I know how to play but I don't have the same patience anymore.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love Omaha hi/lo, but not Omaha.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have lost money in Omaha, thinking I had low.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha H / L is a great form of poker, I especially like these mixed forms of poker, and the high / low game has good potential thanks to the split pot.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha H/L is a difficult game where the pot is often divided, I don't see any arguments to play it, I like simple Omaha better