AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
statistics are amazing
to see insight into the frequency of actions of your opponents
and the different ways to utilize the information is invaluable.

Knowing how to gather that information quickly and proficiently
is a very valuable skill

When you use a HUD
you are cheating yourself out of gaining that skill
same as using a calculator versus doing the math
gives the same result
except that when you don't have a calculator you become helpless
if you ever plan on playing live
it is a very important skill to learn

Huds are cheating devices to give you computer assistance coupled with statistics to make correct choices.
Leading the player to correct decisions with prewritten formulas based on those #'s.

You are not playing legit poker

but its fine with me playing against HUD users

I just believe it hinders a players ability in the long run
and I expect better from you all

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those guys who used calculators in high school are still using them 20-30 yrs later,,, :deal:

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never been a fan of using outside software to help you gather information about patterns or anything that helps you predict your opponent's betting/folding style. I consider it cheating and I firmly believe poker rooms should ban them.

If you want/need information about an opponent then watch him play and make your own conclusions.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unpopular opinion maybe - You wanna use a HUD? Go for it. I don't, but I won't judge you for it nor will I think less of you for it.

The only way for me to get better is to play against opponents who are better. They might be naturally better, or better because they have a HUD. Either way, it elevates my game and I'll thank you for it.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i recently purchased PT4 and was excited that I finally had a HUD.

but after a few weeks of "using it", I've realized I'm not using it at all, I never look at it while playing and don't need to look at it.

I've always played by the "seat of my pants", I'm a good thinking player but never needed percentages or statistics to do so.

I'm certainly not disappointed that I paid the full dollars for PT4 (including the omaha which I do play fairly often)... because just having a hand history database to analyze after I've completed my poker for the day is AWESOME. Worth EVERY dollar spent.

But I just don't really need the HUD at all. Maybe someday when I "get better" but I'm debating not even using it when I play, it just becomes annoying when the stupid thing moves and covers the cards or the chips. No matter how many times I "save settings" with the HUD layout, if I resize my tables, I gotta do it all over again. What a complete pain in the you-know-what.

I guess I'm just old school, and I like it that way.

P.S. I should clarify something... seeing HUD statistics on the other players is meaningless to me. I never played that way for many years, and suddenly having the HUD doesn't make me want to start playing that way... but where the HUD is AWESOME is for MY OWN STATS. I do want to know my VPIP/PFR, because I do know where I want to be based on all my years of researching and listening to other very good poker players. I'd like to be somewhere around a 19/15 and if I see that, I know I'm making very good preflop decisions, I know my range is sufficiently tight and it reinforces a "raise only" approach. Calling/flatting too often is a weakness I have, and I know I have it... so seeing my own numbers is very good feedback to show me where I need extra study. But I don't need to see my numbers as I'm playing, the HUD can still be seen in hand replays after my session is over, or in the reporting screen, and that's where I take my notes on my play and evaluate my sessions, not during them, while I'm playing.

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using a HUD is part of the learning experience IMO. For me, playing on a site with HUDs allowed is an edge because I took the time how to make the most of every statistic, and maybe even more importantly, how to not overuse them (i.e. draw big conclusions from a small sample size).

I get and respect that some people don't like them but in that case just play on anonymous sites. Saying they are the devil, or cheating, or dumbing down the game is just not true. If anything they made the game slightly more difficult, but to believe that you first have to believe that you're not some superhuman because you can identify the nit, the fish, and the maniac within 2 orbits without a HUD because any player that mastered the basics can.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it just becomes annoying when the stupid thing moves and covers the cards or the chips. No matter how many times I "save settings" with the HUD layout, if I resize my tables, I gotta do it all over again. What a complete pain in the you-know-what.

I always play with the same size tables, so I dont have that problem. On 888 Poker and pokerstars this is not an issue at all. But on ACR I cant find a good alignment for the HUD, which is in fact pretty annoying. So it also depends on the site and its table layout.

I'm certainly not disappointed that I paid the full dollars for PT4 (including the omaha which I do play fairly often)... because just having a hand history database to analyze after I've completed my poker for the day is AWESOME. Worth EVERY dollar spent.

Exactly. Just having the database is worth every dollar, even if you never use the HUD. I dont frantically look at the HUD before every decision either. But I use it to keep track of, who is at my table, and get a broad idea about player type. If I have 3.000 hands on someone, then he is a regular in the game, and I should probably stick close to default "GTO" type lines against him. And if there is only this kind of player at the table, then I am not in a good game, and I should game select or table select differently.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get the gist of this post & it's why in the future you'll have a clear contrast of 2 type of poker sites, HUD-friendly & not. I think the average layman doesn't want to use a HUD & as Poker gets legalized internationally, Poker sites will have to accept this fact & eventually, all HUD will be banned! Enjoy it while it lasts though!
I've had a few HUDs, still paid for but I cant use cuzz of my bad video card laptop atm, but even when I did, I found myself making mistakes I wouldn't because of HUD & of course, a few plays to steal a few pots when the stats turned out to be "true in action". Sample size is also CRITICAL anything less than 500-1k hands is useless imo. I will not say HUDs are useless but they're overrated!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
HUDs are immoral cheating tools. They give a lot of advantage and make the mind sport less mind, less sport and more cheating.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't need huds to tell me how garbage I am at poker.

Also, using huds is not cheating if it's openly available for all players to use. If you don't want to use it, that's your choice, but a person that takes advantage of all available and allowed resources, like huds, isn't a cheater or is cheating at poker.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In a game where small edges can prove vital, why would you not take every advantage you can?

Sure, it does some of the brainwork for you, but when you're 20 tabling, do you really want to be trying to re-process every hand you've played against this guy in the last 4 hours with your 20 second decision time?

Using a HUD is NOT cheating provided the cardroom you are playing on allows it. As a poker player, your job is to maximise your winnings and minimise your losses. HUDs are a tool that helps you to do this. If you're not using this edge, you are leaving money on the table.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a game where small edges can prove vital, why would you not take every advantage you can?

Using a HUD is NOT cheating provided the cardroom you are playing on allows it. As a poker player, your job is to maximise your winnings and minimise your losses. HUDs are a tool that helps you to do this. If you're not using this edge, you are leaving money on the table.

I Cannot agree more, with all of that;)

food for thought..
If everyone is using the "edge" of using a HUD
who has the edge?

and if it huds was part of the game then why does no poker site offer hud in their software.

but yeah, the can't beat em join mentality doesn't produce Champions
just more lemmings

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The recreational players would be more inclined to play if their were no HUDS.
That affects everyones bottom Line

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and if it huds was part of the game then why does no poker site offer hud in their software.

GG Poker does. Its a simplified one, but its still a HUD.

The recreational players would be more inclined to play if their were no HUDS.

If that was true, one would assume, that partypoker had gained market share, after they banned HUDs a few years ago and made a lot of publicity about it. But they have actually lost market share, which seem to indicate, that recreational players are not as concerned with HUDs (or even know about them), as you assume. Other things like game selection, software, promotions and advertisement seem to be way more important for attracting recreational players to a poker site than its policy on HUDs.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GG Poker does. Its a simplified one, but its still a HUD.

If that was true, one would assume, that PartyPoker had gained market share, after they banned HUDs a few years ago and made a lot of publicity about it. But they have actually lost market share, which seem to indicate, that recreational players are not as concerned with HUDs (or even know about them), as you assume. Other things like game selection, software, promotions and advertisement seem to be way more important for attracting recreational players to a poker site than its policy on HUDs.
Don't forget every sites greatest promotion to get any gambler in the door..
A free 20$ chip lol

its hard to asses partypokers influx of new players during the time
whilst using lost market share as indication of that flux.

Ten high stake full time grinders could have left
replaced by 100 small stake recreational players

Partypoker would lose money and lose market share
even though the games got alot more fishy and new players came
the hud grinders total rake contribution is most likely waay higher than the 100 recs

but i don't know mabey it did flop at Partypoker
hiya fundiver!
hope you doin well!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont have a problem with people using HUD's but do agree sing a HUD is not the best option. People use them as an easy way to track the game and play even more tables. The problem is what they dont see. They dont realize that it takes a while to just get enough hands to make the value of the HUD worth it. Hey 100 hand and they played 25% of hands for a raise so they must be a lag. Nope they may of just had a nice run of cards and 100 hands is nothing. OH look at the NIt who never played a hand. UM wait now there raising and i dont know why. UM the were on post and fold for the 1st 50 hands recorded. OK now you have 1000 hands, great oh look at this crazy player, who now plays differently since you have not played him in 12 months and they finally learned the game. Using a HUD is not all its cracked up to be. Watching a player and figuring out there tendency are vital.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really wanted to make a valid post but you guys seem to have it covered. I like playing live poker and using a HUD is just not the way to go when trying to improve my game. I understand that there are players that want every advantage at their disposal but that can easily transition to need if you're not careful.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HUDS are tools, they provides us more information to make decisons, but I think even without HUBS, at the poker table there is way too much info for me to process, so I have to consider Hubs will hurt me rather than help me.

But on the other hand, if HUBS provide decisions recommendations, Hubs may actually become the "player" and that would be a bad thing for everyone.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like having a HUD, it allows you to make decisions quicker. My HUD tells me the number of BBs, the players stats, auto rates the player, automatically takes notes, and I can tell the relevance of the stats by the color coding.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get an edge as much as possible it's not cheating when sites are allowing it

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I discovered bol has a free hud. It definitely is a good tool to have. I can also see how i have been playing (how the table may perceive me) and i can adjust on a given hand accordingly.