Out Odds

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any decent poker player knows that the odds of filling a flush holding two suited cards and the flop turning up another two of them are 4/1, or 4.22/1 to be exact. What happens when only one of your suit turns up in the flop? This time there are 10 cards to help you from the 47 unknown, The odds are now (47-10) /10 or 3.7/1, While this appears to be absurd it is ststistically correct

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, but hitting that card on the turn only gives you another draw. You have to hit two draws in a row in order to possibly win the pot. The odds of making both draws is 23 to 1. Not sure what the odds are that someone else has the better flush, but if you're the sort of person who chases these sorts of things the odds of winning the hand are generally going to be worse than even 23 to 1.

Still, I see plenty of folks playing any two suited cards for any amount, and they do get lucky sometimes.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
1 draw it's easier than two

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot chips lost with players chasing hands.Always nice to stack off on those types.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still stuck on your opening statement of odds 4:1 or 4.22:1. Unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying, the probability of completing the flush after the flop with two suited hole cards and two on the flop would be 34.96% which translates closer to 2:1 (1.86:1). I may be missing something here--decent card player designation, aside.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, but hitting that card on the turn only gives you another draw. You have to hit two draws in a row in order to possibly win the pot. The odds of making both draws is 23 to 1. Not sure what the odds are that someone else has the better flush, but if you're the sort of person who chases these sorts of things the odds of winning the hand are generally going to be worse than even 23 to 1.

Still, I see plenty of folks playing any two suited cards for any amount, and they do get lucky sometimes.
this 100% everyday i run into someone who will go all in for this situation even after missing on turn

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
firstrack, you're making the same mistake as others, The turn and the river are two seperate events are not mutually inclusive, you cannot lump them together as you have
Cheers

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator