Novice - Big stack advice

D

Dhardy91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Played my first online tournament tonight on skybet (UK).

Finished 3rd out of 516 and had a bit of luck along the way.

What I have found through reading forums and online advice is basically to widen your range and increase bet sizing. Certain things I have found though is that I either force everybody to fold pre flop, or I go with suited connectors or 1 gappers and miss the flop forcing me to fold. I do understand the reasoning behind it and it may just take a bit more experience.

I toyed with the idea of lowering the bet with stronger cards but felt it would make me easier to read, plus i think Jonathan Little recommends maintaining pre flop bet sizes for that reason.

Another thing where I was losing a good chunk was allowing people the correct odds to call, eg me losing straights to a flush on the river. I could do with a nice free App/site to speed this process up if anybody could recommend one?

I feel like me getting lucky at times was my tendency to not be scared to go all in with what I thought were decent cards, feel like its a fine line between good aggressive play and recklessness. One point to mention about that however is I rarely shoved when villain had me covered.

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay, all advice appreciated. :)

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well the biggest thing in a tournament is TIMING you did fine congrats.... after you play enough online you will feel when you have to make moves naturally etc... avoiding busting out with bigger stacks is something i should work on myself keep up the good work good to have you among us :)