Newbie Here #Q1

S

ShawanG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the basic but important things that I constantly have to keep in mind once I sit at the poker table?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do i smell? :damnmate::aetsch:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The degree of the cards you play in a particular position is very important.Remember which cards the opponent most often enters the bank with.Your commitment to the game.You have to be completely focused.Away with emotions and ambitions.The game is waiting for you my friend!

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just remember the fold button and use it when needed have fun oh don't forget to take the 30 day course that will help a lot :) and it's free!

The Riff_Raff :cool:

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not talking about gameplay or strategies but some mental sutff I'd advise you are these -
don't overreact to anything happens in your table. When you win, let it go, same goes with losing too. Don't ever be over confident of yourself if you won multiple big pots. Never underestimate other players at your table. You might lose with good hands straight in couple of pots, (as long as if it's due your luck - not your mistakes) don feel upset just let it go. When you lost your whole stack, don't rebuy more than your previous starting stack (just because to gain your losses back in quick way)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many important things to keep in mind - everything from table image to betting strategies; luckily cardschat can help with those specifics (our forums are filled with them!).

However, I advise a few key thoughts BEFORE you even sit down at the table. Without these, everything else might be a losing battle.

I recommend taking seriously:

-bankroll management (not enough to just have money to play with - you should also understand variance and implement strategies like stop-loss if you need to do so)

-table selection (you could do everything "right" but still be destined to fail if you sit down with players all better at poker than you. You must determine for yourself what your poker goals are...making money and seeking easy tables, improving your game and seeking those tough tables [knowing you will likely lose], or just having fun [which makes homegames with friends ideal])

-Mindset: poker is not a "get-rich-quick-scheme" like some think it is. It is a game of long-term and even the "big win" stories like Chris Moneymaker in 2003 wasn't complete luck; he was a successful (and winning for sure) poker player even before his iconic wsop Main Event win. Like anything else in life, improving a ton at poker will take a lot of time, study and investment. Without these, you are limiting how much you could improve (which might not be a bad thing if you don't want to improve much and just stay with friends and small stakes).

In summary, everyone is different and has different poker goals. However, these three things I recommend every poker player to consider at some point :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you see a card on the table that can beat your hand, keep that in mind. Too many people keep playing because they are afraid to fold the 2nd best hand.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
An Ace is higher than a King. :dontknow:

Take your time moving up in stakes and most importantly don't play with the rent/food/utilities money.

Good luck.

:top: