New to Poker, any advise?

W

wizebettor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I have been successful with sports betting and decided to allocate some of my winnings to start a poker bankroll. I got into poker playing small games 1/2 NL while waiting for some of the games that I bet to finish. I am able to win in 1/2 pretty easily and i play somewhat lose...but any time i try to play anything over 1/2 its very hard to win. I noticed that you need a lot of patience in the bigger games and you really have to be careful and know your players. When i play bigger games, i do well in the first hour or so but then its all downhill from there. Do you guys have any tips/suggestions?

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1.1/2 games I think you mean nl2 not nl200 right?
2.your question is a bit broad. there are some general tendencies that come up as you progress: people float more, suddenly find the option of 3beting not with QQ+,cbet less/mote, stuff like that. you can work on finding reg"avarage" and work from that
3.as a general rule of thumb you can lurk on forums and try find people having a discussion on hands they palyed and why they playd like that it can also help.
4.well you can people from nl100 play like guys from nl2, so yes patience is a factor but nitty TAG is not the best strategy

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice

My advice is that you play all free games as you can before putting money on it, play freerolls, if you make any money play 0.11 tournaments, try to get to tha las sinning positions, don't go all-in right away and don´t risk too much, play tournaments with play money so you get enough experience.

K

KarlAbbott01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice is that you play all free games as you can before putting money on it, play freerolls, if you make any money play 0.11 tournaments, try to get to tha las sinning positions, don't go all-in right away and don´t risk too much, play tournaments with play money so you get enough experience.

This, however play money wont benefit yoj in my opinion everyone is even more careless, it will benefit if you if you're completely unsure how the game works.

I suggest studying online and watching YouTube videos, don't pay for anything until you think you're extremely interested mate.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is that you should play freeroll tourney until you see that you are becoming good in poker. When you win 2 or 3 freerolls, that means that you are ready for cash games. Good luck

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agree, the right advice I started

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must have a lot of patience and concentration all the time.

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study, patience, persistence, analyze the hands you have played and look at what you can do differently to be more profitable the next time you face the same situation.

515bastos

515bastos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play with low money at start, so you can feel the differences between game and players styles on poker.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I have been successful with sports betting and decided to allocate some of my winnings to start a poker bankroll. I got into poker playing small games 1/2 NL while waiting for some of the games that I bet to finish. I am able to win in 1/2 pretty easily and i play somewhat lose...but any time i try to play anything over 1/2 its very hard to win. I noticed that you need a lot of patience in the bigger games and you really have to be careful and know your players. When i play bigger games, i do well in the first hour or so but then its all downhill from there. Do you guys have any tips/suggestions?

Studying poker includes attending classes, reading articles, discussing hands, and especially: reviewing yourself.

These are the main indicators that you are on the right track in poker.

Looking at the way you play, analytically and based on what you have learned by studying, forces you to think differently.

You have achieved what is not the moment at hand, and it is what you are thinking of a new solution.

After looking for good study materials, exercising your own game is key to finding your mistakes and to developing a more profitable strategy in the next situation.

Poker is a long-term game and during that walk you will have many more pointers that are on the right track in poker than one spade or another.

True success is building a solid foundation through study, group discussions, self-analysis and a work of mindset.

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pick up some books on Poker such as Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, Little Blue Book etc, and Doyle Brunson's Super System.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study. There's plenty of great information available. Training sites and videos can be great tools to being successful. Winning money is a great motivator and will keep you from getting bored or losing interest.

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also went through the same difficulties in the beginning, I went very well in short games and with few players, I like the challenge of the bigger tournaments and to arrive at ITM however it is not in a very high position is very gratifying, so the advice is to study and Practicing a lot, even if they are practices with fictitious money already helps a lot.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question is more about how to do better in bigger games and for longer.

This can be achieved two ways. 1. Doing better in bigger games for shorter. 2. Doing better in smaller games for longer.

Don't try to do both at the same time.

For example, either accept you will win less BB and play for less time at a bigger level. Set smaller goals at that level, leave while you are ahead and be happy with that.

Or concentrate on playing longer and being patient at lower levels where you don't mind taking a loss.

Choose one and practice it.

N

ngk80

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read more about poker and poker strategies. I do it myself. Keep your notes mistaken and win. Keep discipline. Play free tournaments.

Mil777

Mil777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to try these types of poker - cash, mtt, sng, spin, etc.
Find your discipline if it's a cache I'll give advice with nl2 go straight to nl10 and scary well, in my experience nl10 is easier to beat than nl5