Never check-raise?

J

Jerlim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you ever check raise? check-raise works with few players, beginner players tend to be more passive, so they will not raise and that is why we only offer a free card with the check and more advanced players realize what is happening, they are still very specific situations that it is really safe to check-raise, your hand needs to be very good or even nuts, because for the villain to call he needs to have something, think that he is winning, that said, the habit of check-raising becomes bad, so check-raise Never?

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I do it so often, but I know that it is wrong play. Sometimes check- all in, works. Mostly at bounty tournaments.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the above reasons still it's a great bluff strategy. also it's a good when you want to understand where you are. Let's say it's a 3bet flop, you're holding 99, flop comes Q T 3, you check, opponent bets 25-30%. He might have a gutshot or weaker pair, also he might have a set or over pair. You 3bet to represent nuts and fold to his 4bet or keep checking turn and river if opponent will allow it, but also opponent might have hands like AK-AJ or pairs like 88 or lower so he will probably fold to your 3bet.
Also check-raise-all-in is a good strategy if your stack is low and you're not planning to fold holding some good hand. SO I believe that it's better never say never.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Check raise also helps to get rid of players who :sleep: therefore "never" shouldn't even be option

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still use the check-raise strategy. It is still a strategy you can use effectively if you can balance your range.