Need help with heads up

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is gonna be long. I'm posting all the big pots that I lost and won heads up in the most recent SNG I played. Please tell me what I did wrong in each hand, if anything and what I should have done differently. Also whether I should be doing anything differently in general

I've been playing some 11 cent 10 man SNGs on betonline. I think I play decent early on but have trouble when I get down heads up and finish 2nd more often than 1st. I've squandered 5 : 1 chip leads or better multiple times when heads up. I win a lot of small hands but lose the big ones and end up doubling up my opponents.

For e.g-I had 11,290 chips and villain had 2,755. Villain has been playing tight and passive until now but seems to get more loose now. I've noticed that he only bets the flop when he has something or at least a draw. If he bets into me on the flop he has hit something but does not necessarily have to be strong. He has bet into me with bottom/middle pair earlier but never a bluff. When he checks back to me on the flop, I bet ALWAYS and he folds most of the time(unless he has a draw-plays them passively). That should be enough info

Key hand 1(Blinds 100/200)
Stack sizes
Hero-12645
Villain-2355

Hero has JQo in the BB

Villain raises to 600. Hero calls. Flop comes 9KQ rainbow. Hero checks. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain turns over AQ. Turn and river brick and villain wins.

Key hand 2(Blinds 100/200)
Stack sizes
Hero-10,290
Villain-4,710

Hero has KcJs in the SB

Hero raises to 400. Villain calls. Flop comes AT5 all clubs. Villain bets 800 and hero calls. Turn is 7d. Villain bets 1200 and hero shoves. Villain calls and shows Ah4s. River brings another ace and villain takes down the pot.

Key hand 3(Blinds 150/300)
Stack sizes
Hero-7,029
Villain-7,961

Hero has 10d3d in the BB

Villain calls and hero checks. Flop comes 2sQh5s. Hero checks and villain checks. Turn is a Qd. Hero bets 400. Villain calls. River is an Ad. Hero bets 933 and villain shoves. Hero folds

Key hand 4(Blinds 150/300)

Villain seems to have become more aggressive. Past 3 hands he has raised or re-raised me preflop.

Stack sizes
Hero-5,696
Villain-9,304

Hero has 6c4c in the SB

Hero calls. Villain raises to 900. Hero shoves and villain calls instantly with 8sQs. Neither player hits the flop and no draws are there. Turn brings a 4 and river bricks and hero wins the pot.

Key hand 5(Blinds 150/300)

Very next hand

Stack sizes
Hero-11,392
Villain-3,608

Hero has Kh4c. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain shows KcTd. Hero doesnt draw out and villain wins the pot.

Key hand 6(Blinds 150/300)

Stack sizes
Hero-7,784
Villain-7,216

Hero has Jd7d in the SB

Hero calls. Flop comes 9sJc2c. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain shows Jh4d. Turn is a 3s. Villain hits his 4 on the river and drags in the approx 14.5k pot

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read the first 2 and it seems that you thinking he's bluffing. You not calling with a set. You said he generally only calls when he has something. He's showing you he's got somethng and you trying to bluff him. You should be folding when he calls your raise.

Where he had more chips it's natural to open up a bit but you were still doing ok.

Last hand I think you were right to shove all in. It's just a bad beat that he landed a 4.

Other than that you did everything fine.

Last edited:
froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heads up

you seemed unwilling to fold any hand, regardless if villain bets or raises. It is okay to fold in heads up. don't let the opponent control your play. with your stack, a few folds were in order. wait for the hand and then the villain might believe you when you bet. imo

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you seemed unwilling to fold any hand, regardless if villain bets or raises. It is okay to fold in heads up. don't let the opponent control your play. with your stack, a few folds were in order. wait for the hand and then the villain might believe you when you bet. imo

Yeah, I think I call way too light heads up and I raise pretty much every hand. Only fold stuff like 83 and 72 and all. It's just hard for me to fold pre when villain folds most of the time to my raises. I think I lose most money heads up when I have a decent hand like an A8 or something and I call down their shove only to see that they have a better Ace

P

PolariZ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is gonna be long. I'm posting all the big pots that I lost and won heads up in the most recent SNG I played. Please tell me what I did wrong in each hand, if anything and what I should have done differently. Also whether I should be doing anything differently in general

I've been playing some 11 cent 10 man SNGs on betonline. I think I play decent early on but have trouble when I get down heads up and finish 2nd more often than 1st. I've squandered 5 : 1 chip leads or better multiple times when heads up. I win a lot of small hands but lose the big ones and end up doubling up my opponents.

For e.g-I had 11,290 chips and villain had 2,755. Villain has been playing tight and passive until now but seems to get more loose now. I've noticed that he only bets the flop when he has something or at least a draw. If he bets into me on the flop he has hit something but does not necessarily have to be strong. He has bet into me with bottom/middle pair earlier but never a bluff. When he checks back to me on the flop, I bet ALWAYS and he folds most of the time(unless he has a draw-plays them passively). That should be enough info

Key hand 1(Blinds 100/200)
Stack sizes
Hero-12645
Villain-2355

Hero has JQo in the BB

Villain raises to 600. Hero calls. Flop comes 9KQ rainbow. Hero checks. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain turns over AQ. Turn and river brick and villain wins.

Key hand 2(Blinds 100/200)
Stack sizes
Hero-10,290
Villain-4,710

Hero has KcJs in the SB

Hero raises to 400. Villain calls. Flop comes AT5 all clubs. Villain bets 800 and hero calls. Turn is 7d. Villain bets 1200 and hero shoves. Villain calls and shows Ah4s. River brings another ace and villain takes down the pot.

Key hand 3(Blinds 150/300)
Stack sizes
Hero-7,029
Villain-7,961

Hero has 10d3d in the BB

Villain calls and hero checks. Flop comes 2sQh5s. Hero checks and villain checks. Turn is a Qd. Hero bets 400. Villain calls. River is an Ad. Hero bets 933 and villain shoves. Hero folds

Key hand 4(Blinds 150/300)

Villain seems to have become more aggressive. Past 3 hands he has raised or re-raised me preflop.

Stack sizes
Hero-5,696
Villain-9,304

Hero has 6c4c in the SB

Hero calls. Villain raises to 900. Hero shoves and villain calls instantly with 8sQs. Neither player hits the flop and no draws are there. Turn brings a 4 and river bricks and hero wins the pot.

Key hand 5(Blinds 150/300)

Very next hand

Stack sizes
Hero-11,392
Villain-3,608

Hero has Kh4c. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain shows KcTd. Hero doesnt draw out and villain wins the pot.

Key hand 6(Blinds 150/300)

Stack sizes
Hero-7,784
Villain-7,216

Hero has Jd7d in the SB

Hero calls. Flop comes 9sJc2c. Villain shoves and hero calls. Villain shows Jh4d. Turn is a 3s. Villain hits his 4 on the river and drags in the approx 14.5k pot

Villian has a 10 BB stacks. I am folding or shoving in this spot and JQ is to weak, there are many kx and ax in his calling range

Range villian polerized by opening raise!

Depents on opponent, floating on the flop with the nut flush draw is a good play. But it is a scary board your range screams A. If the turn goes check barrel otherwise fold.

Your opponent doesnt seem so good dont trye to get a soft opponent of aces

The q on the turn is a bad card for you to represent there are not a lot 2s and 5s in your range , I would check fold turn. Think about your range.

A K on the turn would be a great card to get the pot down.

Dont counter agression with agression this will increase variance, counter with patience and wait for the goods

K4 depents of his shoving range but it is often to weak and the bottum of villians range wait for AX.

K4 good enough to shove not good enough to call a shove because the range of villian is polerized

Depents op opponent if his range is big enough. Would he shove a flush draw second pair? Close decision

Standard is folding and because the stakes are close i am going for the fold.

Last edited: