Need advice on board textures and betting patterns

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, i found an example in a book about two similar hands and i don't agree with the answer i got there so, here i am, posting the hands here in order to get advice.
Your opponent is a LAG player, this is the only information you have of him.

Consider two different boards. The first board is

Flop: (27.03 BB, 2 players) 8:heart: 6:spade: 4:heart:

Turn: (27.03 BB, 2 players) 2:club:

River: (27.03 BB, 2 players) K:heart:

The second is:

Flop: (27.03 BB, 2 players) K:heart: 6:spade: 2:club:

Turn: (27.03 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:

River: (27.03 BB, 2 players) 4:heart:
You hold pocket jacks(pity that it does not specify the type). You have position on your opponent which has bet all three streets. In which situation do you think the final river call will work out better and why?

M

metameg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would really like to know what your book says the answer is, but my gut is telling me that it's best to call down 3 streets in scenario 1, where the Kh comes on the river.
The reason being is that it seems more likely your loose opponent may have a wide enough range to hit the flop and continue betting/bluffing with a blank turn, whereas if a K hits on the flop, I would think it would be harder for him to continue with his bluffs on the turn, but easy for him to continue betting with a hand that beats JJ.

Of course depends on how LAG the opponent is, but this is my guess

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First a question, does the book say why you would possibly be calling down with pocket jacks on those boards? That's a horrible play for both boards. Is this supposed to show us life through the eyes of a calling station?
Assuming this is an attempt to get us to see poker through a new, calling station, perspective, then I would say this.
In the first board you have the possibility of the flush or straight draws on the flop, but not much else in the way of probable monster hands. So, in the first example it is more likely that their bets mean "I'm, chasing and want to push you off". in this case, it's more likely that they caught the flush or king on the river.
In the second board, the king hits immediately. As soon as you make the first call you are deciding that the K does not scare you and hoping they are playing A4o or maybe as strong as A8o. Since you are assuming you have them beat from the start you aren't too worried about the made flush draw.
As a calling station, I would say calling the second board is more likely to let you win than calling the first board.
Personally, though, I'd overbet the pot on the first board to scare away the multitude of draws, and fold the second board after the flop.

BTW, What kind of book are you reading? Not only does it want you to be a calling station, but in it's example the pot never increases even though the villain has "bet all three streets?" This book makes no sense from what little I've seen.
Flop: (27.03 BB
Turn: (27.03 BB
River: (27.03 BB

And what's with the .03? Does that really matter?

::just mutters and walks away::

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars