More ICM - It's That Important! (Day 25 Course Discussion)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the answer. Thats true, you are right. I didn't expect 23o to have 30% equity against most strong hands, but yeah I did the computations and its still ahead of 1:3. It's counterintuitive this situation though.
I've seen many players folding raises short stacked in cash games. Then probably they are playing wrong.

In my (somewhat limited) cash game experience, a lot of otherwise good cash game players generally are not great at playing short stacks—probably because it is fairly uncommon for them to be playing one.

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Collin and Katie. I'm trying out the Holdem Resources Nash ICM Calculator and can't figure out what the third OC indented column stands for! This is probably a silly question :p

I think OC stands for "other caller", or something like that.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for explaining more about ICM. Need to learn more about my ranges and how to play in position. Does this course give more teaching material about ICM? If not, any suggestions to learn more about this?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for explaining more about ICM. Need to learn more about my ranges and how to play in position. Does this course give more teaching material about ICM? If not, any suggestions to learn more about this?

Yes it does, there are two sections specifically about it and many more also discuss it :) Hope you enjoy the course!

E

EvanX26

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
loving the course

This video is getting a lot of views in YouTube - anxious for members to get this far and join in on the discussion!

Guys this is a really fun course . I'm getting a lot out of it and have been recommending it to everyone I know.

Really liked this video in particular - really important to think about what's going on in the tournament payout implications

also helpful reminder about free tools at holdem resources - going to try that out and let you guys know how I get on.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The further into the forest - the more firewood and thicker the guerrillas. Today's lecture has added food for thought. I'll sort out the information on my way to work. Have a nice day to everyone!

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 25...5 to go

I need to check how loose I 3-bet shove and take notes :D I bet it's not enough.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More ICM - it's important! I won't be downloading any of the tools or printing out any of the charts, but the basic concepts are now a part of my tool kit.

Quotes that stuck out "Suited broadways are the best" and "JTs does better given the types of hands that we're going to get called by". I'd been developing an informal hypothesis on this so it's fantastic to see that my guess has some ICM evidence backing it up.

Tried this today with KQs. Was called by 33 and lost of course. But still it felt good to practice what I've learned on this great course!

G

Gollox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
If we are going to enter icm it is better to hold hands like AaS or KKs
?

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 25

As usual I would like to thank Cardschat for this interesting lesson.

Poker tools like Resource manager and ICM izer are very interesting. Honestly, I want to have the opportunity to work the ICM well on ICM izer, it's an important concept especially on the high limits.

Concerning the question asked at the end of the video I see that in the big blind we must 3-bet shove with a wide range of hands like Ax and medium suit connectors, but not with J9o as indicated.

This reaction calculated by ICM izer surprised me, I didn't expect to see that we can 3-bet shove with A2o, but it's a profitable decision on the long turn.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
icm is one of the most important poker theory for final tables in my opinion

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
ICM ICM ICM, more ICM, despite not being at the final tables as much as I'd like, it's really important to know what to do when you get there, isn't it? Knowing when to go all in or not, use the tools in your favor and trust them, great class teachers, thank you!

25/30.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like taking the magic range as a base point and adjusting from there as needed.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi Day 25 finished.
Nice topic that ICM in pre flop ranges using tools ICM Software

Ty.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 25 completed. I've always been interested in learning about ranges, and this lesson is very interesting as it delves into their specificity. Thanks for the lesson!