Monster Hands

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How would monster hands play after the flop in position early and speaking first? having top pair, do they check calls or go out directly betting not to let the tour see?

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's that much of a monster hand you could just raise for value or just check to encourage a bluff or something. I usually prefer being agressive in that position since i got burned too many times playing to passive and giving them the chance to make a monster hand as well.
Once I had aces and kept checking since I knew he wouldn't pay but the river was a J and he got trips.
So agression is the answer in my opinion.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would monster hands play after the flop in position early and speaking first? having top pair, do they check calls or go out directly betting not to let the tour see?

In general, top pair is not considered a monster and we’ll want to get some value but not push the action to the same extent as, say, flopping top set on a draw-heavy board [emoji106]

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with the above post. You are going to have a lot of heartbreak if you believe top pair is a start of a monster hand. Other folks are one card away from a full house, a flush or a straight.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I always push with monster hands from any positions ))
P.S. l mean monster draw hands (about 15 outs)…

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, top pair is not considered a monster and we’ll want to get some value but not push the action to the same extent as, say, flopping top set on a draw-heavy board [emoji106]

I agree. Top pair is not a monster for me, I wouldn't even call top 2 pair a monster. A set, on the other hand, is a strong hand, because set over set does occur but is quite rare. With top pair I would definitely bet on the flop, possibly also on the turn (depending if A, K or a lower top pair and the kicker), but check-call more often on the river. With a monster (made hand like straight, nut flush, full house) definitely bet for value. :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands