Missing when OP

D

Desiatpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello team,
Just a quick question what you guys do when you miss flop OP.
Like let's say you UTG open AKs or AQs and board comes all low cards or middle cards.?
If c bet and villain always just call your bet on flop then what?
If you always check here then villain cab bluff you alway.
Same goes when open QQ to 1010 UTG and AKx flop show up.
Thanks

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've run into that a lot, especially on zoom tables. I make a call to either make a larger C bet, or check raise if they make a small bet ( less than half pot ).

sometimes you need to check it down as well.

playing that out of position is actually the biggest problem. and you often have to take position into account over nice hole cards and a missed flop

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a quick question what you guys do when you miss flop OP.
Like let's say you UTG open AKs or AQs and board comes all low cards or middle cards.?
If c bet and villain always just call your bet on flop then what?
If you always check here then villain cab bluff you alway.

A competent player knows, in low flops (:5h4::5s4::3c4:, :10s4::6h4::4d4:, :8d4::3s4::5d4:), that the OR range in EP does not impact much (Mainly you have OverCard and PocketPair), for this reason it is normal for the rival to call most times, also if you have the habit of check/Fold every time the Turn does not benefit you regular players will take advantage of this trend.

One solution is to reduce your Cbet in this type of flop and have a check/call range, so you can respond better in the later streets (Turn and River).

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know this isn't the cookie cutter answer you're looking for, but the answer is you need to think about how your entire range is constructed instead of thinking about individual hands. So for example when a particular flop comes your question shouldn't be "what do I do with xx?" it should be "how do I generally play this board with all the hands I could have here after raising preflop?" Obviously this isn't super straightforward and will take you time to think about, but that's how you make your decision. On some boards the hands you raise will be so strong that you can bet 100% of your hands, on some boards you'll be weaker so you should not bluff as much. As you improve you'll also begin to realize you need to take into account your opponent's potential hands and figure out which hands worse than top pair are best to bluff and which are best to ch/c and which are best to ch/f.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are clearly many variables at play in poker; things aren't simply in a vacuum. The way I look at this is that they probably missed the flop too. Statistically, I think only 1 of 3 flops are hit (perhaps someone can verify this for me). Especially out of position, I'd be cautious; however, missing the flop doesn't mean you will necessarily lose the hand. This is why hand reading and tells are so useful. If you fold every time you miss the flop, then you might be too exploitable: especially to pot steals.
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new to poker, so take this as you will. I however, have always loved psychology and had a knack for it. This is just my instinctual answer, but perhaps someone else could elaborate.