The mindset of wanting to be a poker player

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that I'm doubting the merits of poker in general. Deep down I feel like poker is something that is non productive. When you make something and sell it, you are making something that didn't exist before and people are giving you money for it. In poker you are just engaged in a game that allows for the transfer of wealth. There is no product being created.

Do you ever feel like being a poker player is preventing you from creating something for the world? What is your mindset for wanting to play poker? Thank you.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I had never thought of it, interesting
I think it makes a bit of sense, but when you do something and sell it does not mean it never existed before
Of course, when in certain situations it is a good thing for the country or city

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had never thought of it, interesting
I think it makes a bit of sense, but when you do something and sell it does not mean it never existed before
Of course, when in certain situations it is a good thing for the country or city

I'm not saying that you create some brand new product necessarily. But take for example being a busser at a restaurant. When you do your job you're creating a service for other people that improves their lives a bit (pouring water and bringing it to their table for example). But when you play poker and you do what you're supposed to do, no ones life improves except your own (if you're playing well), and you could go further and say that you're making someone's life worse.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a game,,,nothing more.I don't feel bad playing Monopoly either,,,, :D

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not saying that you create some brand new product necessarily. But take for example being a busser at a restaurant. When you do your job you're creating a service for other people that improves their lives a bit (pouring water and bringing it to their table for example). But when you play poker and you do what you're supposed to do, no ones life improves except your own (if you're playing well), and you could go further and say that you're making someone's life worse.

terryk It's a game, philosophy is bullshit

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play poker-it doesn't mean that I can't develop other features! I play poker and parallel learning to write a book, draw lewd naked boobs, doing mount "good" videos, take naughty pictures, to understand the "deep" art, create high-rated video games, and more! Live, play poker and win and enjoy life. Good luck to you.

M

Master Bedroom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if "wanting to be a poker player' is something you're concerned with, then you should spend your time doing other things more wisely.

Being a bus boy isn't contributing to the world; it's a service job. Those people don't care who busses their dishes; they just wanted to eat without cooking; and have money to spend.

You could find many spots in the poker world to help people, if you wanted to look hard enough to find a way.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the reason why a lot of pros donate money and their time for others who are less fortunate. Just make sure if you ever find success to give back

B

BillyBaker23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker can be very non productive, but then again you have to remember your just playing a game. Getting out of the everyday life of work, kids, bills, or whatever takes away from relaxation. I think that you can't be concerned about whether or not it's productive, I feel you need to think of it as your own time away from the stresses of life. If you good enough, you can make money doing it, then it can be considered productive.

fa_max4

fa_max4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's true, poker itself isn't productive. BUT, it's a way that make money, to then finance whatever creative idea you can have.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can be fun as a hobby. A decade ago I made quite a bit of money from poker, but these days I just play for fun.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Philosophical question is all this is.

Tennis brings nothing to the world, football brings nothing to the world, movies bring nothing to the world, dancing and plays bring nothing to the world, poker brings nothing to the world.
However, with marketing, all of them can produce an audience. And that audience can produce people willing to participate and to be observers. And that can bring money into a city that would otherwise be a craphole. And it can make 9 to 5ers with nothing to live for look forward to the weekend.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is the best game , you can earn money , also if you are good, enormous amounts of money , while you have fun and you are being entertained spending some hours on sth you like . Many have a job and at the same time they play this game , others pros use this game for a living .
There are other kinds of entertainment , watch a movie or a sport like other members said , non productive some people might say , but help most persons have a good time . Many things might not seem productive in a materialistic way , but without these people's life would be worse , people would be less productive in their real life job being less interested with less fun -entertainment or with less chances to make extra money to their monthly salary or retirement payment by doing sth they love or they have knoledge about it . And poker is entertainment and can be $$$$$ very profitable !!!!

If sb feels tediousness with poker he can try a hobby , feels non productive ?? then help others voluntarily or do sth else to keep him happy and complete , or stop playing poker , cause if you don't feel complete/nice with sth , why concern yourself about it , play it , etc .
But if you look around millions and millions of people try things ''non productive '' in a conservative way of thinking , for example play video games on twitch or alone , etc to have fun with sth that might earn them money if they are good at it , a lot of money , is it bad ?? NO . All these conservative philosophical questions are out of date :rolleyes:;)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I came across the same idea in a book. This is a very philosophical thought. Try to treat poker as a game that does not prevent you from doing important things for the world.