Mindset question

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I was playing a tournament this morning and multiple people started going all in every hand after they were unable to win playing correctly. It would not have been so bad except for one had unlimited reentry and the person bought over a dozen. Is this some new mindset happening in poker now? I am I can tilt from some stuff, but this is ridiculous. The funny part is, I am the person that set 2 of these guys off and another freaked out after a hand he was bluffing on and rage quit. I mean come on, have some self respect.

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is some material out there explaining the merit of being loose early in a rebuy tournament.
Rebuy tournaments can become a bit 'pay to win'.
If 2 players will go all-in no matter what, they can preserve equity as they either get a 50% chance of doubling up or 50% chance they have to rebuy. Only losing to rake.
This is by no means a profitable play. But if you have a very strong BSS (big stack strategy) it can be a reasonable game plan, as with a big stack you can become the table captain and bully everyone and steal a lot of blinds. After all, you are playing for 1st place in a MTT, not just to be in the money.

Remember that a lot of poker players are not playing for profit, they are playing for ego.

That's how I see it anyway ^^

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that a lot of poker players are not playing for profit, they are playing for ego.

That's how I see it anyway ^^

I never understood stupid aggression. My ego has never been determined by a win or loss at a table, so I guess I do not understand that. Then again, when I first started playing, which was 5 card draw, we played who could win by talent. Now, everyone seems to think aggression is best for everything going on. No cards at all, go all in. Marginal hand, go all in. Then say the system is rigged.

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hahaha, I couldn't agree more ^^

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also was playing a free roll tourney this morning,and it was a mess.All in after all in.Hand after hand.I am to the point unless its a cardschat free roll,i am just not going to play.I enjoy playing the game of poker,not the game of all in.It is no fun at all.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Never understood these "playing correctly" comments. I mean, i do know what they mean, sometimes better then they self. "Correct play", if mean from the perspective of variance, isnt correct before the sample is large enough, that is good to remember.

Is poker even that kind of game that there could be experts over all? Expert in that point a view that you are legimit to give someone advice? In anviroment where right decision leads systematicly to the right outcome for you, makes your situation better, there you can give advice what is correct and whats wrong. This is not the case in poker.Right decision can easily give bad feedback and vice versus. I know i know, in the long run, but do you know how long that run have to be, how many millions hand you have to play that you decisions comes "correct"?

And over all, when you pay your seat at the table yurself, i think you an play how ever you like. :)

K

kaggenheim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
curious

So, I was playing a tournament this morning and multiple people started going all in every hand after they were unable to win playing correctly. It would not have been so bad except for one had unlimited reentry and the person bought over a dozen. Is this some new mindset happening in poker now? I am I can tilt from some stuff, but this is ridiculous. The funny part is, I am the person that set 2 of these guys off and another freaked out after a hand he was bluffing on and rage quit. I mean come on, have some self respect.

i have seen that happen, maybe he had played too long and was way "off" of his mindset

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never understood these "playing correctly" comments. I mean, i do know what they mean, sometimes better then they self. "Correct play", if mean from the perspective of variance, isnt correct before the sample is large enough, that is good to remember.

And over all, when you pay your seat at the table yurself, i think you an play how ever you like. :)

I am meaning that they were playing in a manner that accepted as proper play. Do you go all in for 20 + minutes and keep rebuying in tournaments? It may have gone on longer, but I busted out with some cards I thought were decent.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I am meaning that they were playing in a manner that accepted as proper play. Do you go all in for 20 + minutes and keep rebuying in tournaments? It may have gone on longer, but I busted out with some cards I thought were decent.

Ok, i see.I don t know whats the reasons behind that kind of play or what is it. Would think that its hard to make any profit, min cashes probably wont be enough if rebuying lot.

I have actually gone to smallest cash games or smallest tournaments couple of time, to shake my tilt away by pushing all in all the time like a monkey. :D

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In rebuy tournaments this is fairly common, and the smaller the buyin the more it will be true. It's a great time to build a stack and if you are going to play rebuys you have to be ok with this type of play.

That being said if you want to play that tournament without dealing with rebuys you can just register at the end of late registration, take the addon and avoid all the gambling from the tournament.

either that or as you move up stakes you will find less and less of this happening :icon_sant

Maekz1999

Maekz1999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeah.. Same here. On low stakes people do not really care about anything. But u need to learn how to abuse it. Ofc it is annoying because you have to flip a lot. But in long term with odds on ur site when u follow an all in call you should be on the winning side. Just don't call like the donkeys with bad hands. Stay on your winning conditions and you will abuse it :)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You aren't supposed to have the intention stolen by those.

Please concentrate on your play.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This kind of play is more and more common, especially with the influx of new players do to the current situation and many staying at home. You can try and play different times of day and med stakes games, but free-rolls especially are what they are, can't change that.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When this happens these players are just buying chips, adding to the prize pool, and giving the chips away. Call their shoves with premium hands only. It's possible they could get lucky and knock you out, but usually you'll double up and more and have them well covered when they rebuy and shove again.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In my opinion, only fishermen and hunters should play poker. Only fishermen and hunters wait long and hard for large prey.