• Thread starter AcesFullOfDonks
  • Start date
R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen Mercier use the min bet raise PF in tournaments before just before the bubble when everyone is playing like a NIT. Steals a few blinds and antes here and there. Fairly useful until you get caught.

Useful even after you get caught. There's still situations you can keep stealing, get caught twice, wait for a hand, do it again, get looked up, get extra value.

I generally raise more just because I feel people will call too loosely in the low stakes games I play, and I try to avoid going 3-5 handed at all costs. Which I've generally see happen.

Playing live things are different though. But I agree, they are in a few classes/levels beyond where I am, and maybe beyond where I'll ever end up with my game!

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
I like mini bets sometimes depends of situation , because you can hide your strong hand , and they can make mistakes on the river , but mini bets sometimes are bad , because they can pay your mini bet , and they can buy the best hand on the turn or river , and you can losse much , also you can steal the bank with mini bets.
Anyway I like to be much and more aggressive.
GL :)

Last edited:
C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very rarely will min bet. Typically the only time I min bet is heads up against an absolute rock who folds to anything unless they have a hand. I can usually take the pot super cheap. If he calls I give up, he raises, I toss my hand.
Again, Rare and very situational. Not my recommendation for base style of play.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I min raise when I think they'll fold or I want a call.

D

De Burgermeester

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think min-betting is a very weak play, even worse than limping. I never use it because it doesn't have a purpose. A min-bet doesn't make other players fold and it doesn't put more money in the pot. A min-bet only makes other players think you are a weak player or have a weak hand. So thats the only time you could consider to min-bet in my opinion, when you want other players to perceive you as weak.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely will min bet. Typically the only time I min bet is heads up against an absolute rock who folds to anything unless they have a hand. I can usually take the pot super cheap. If he calls I give up, he raises, I toss my hand.
Again, Rare and very situational. Not my recommendation for base style of play.

A good player will notice you changed the size and call. Against a tight player it's usually profitable to 3x or 4x still, and it hides your range if that's your regular. I agree taking a shot against a tight player is good. I just don't like to give up information, especially when you should still win most of the time and be profitable.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Minimum bets seem to lead to maximum confusion.

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i might call a min bet with a bunch of limpers, planning to:
- fold if i get raised when holding a marginal hand
- sometimes i will call a min bet/raise with a good hand, hoping one of the remaining players will raise to isolate; then assume i am weak after the flop

how i handle min raisers....
- if i have something, i will instantly raise to 3x-4x the bet.... if i get instantly re-raised i will most likely fold.... or call and fold to an additional raise
- if i am chasing, have middle pair, or have an A high i will just call and see a showdown cheaply

what i find is sometimes they will min-bet all the way to the river and then bet the pot. in these situations i think they have a good hand and were hoping for a re-raise somewhere along the road.... i don't mind folding here as i was able to see all 5 cards cheaply... unless i get something

often they are betting A high or middle/bottom pair....

i get more suspicious when a good reg or big stack player simply calls a BB utg.... they are looking for a re-raise... so, i will limp along...

a fish calling utg, i will raise..

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars