Micro - Problem - AK

P

Pokagambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on sng and tours its a must play.If you don't gamble with it you don't get paid.On cash though that's another story.I play it cautiously because he calls my raise with his 33 and i catch a king and he catches his 3 and i can't see that and he grabs my chips.Simple.I'd rather be the 33 guy and he the Ak victim...

I

ivandrago

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

Hey guys.

How the #&$?! do you handle AK suited or not.
I raise it, i push it, i slow play it, it call it, i smack it ahh... almost always lose.
Its my statistically worse hand.

Im evaluating just folding it...

Really i just dont get anything good from it. How do you guys deal with it?

:confused:

cellait

cellait

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise or re-raise or call, is a good hand. I win always...

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The AK is very good hand and infact top hand in unpair range and Does well against pairs too
but we win 50% only most of the times and 70% + if we are up against an lower Ax than us
what u are currently facing is nothing but variance
hell its even happened to me for whole month
I Shoved AK or AKs 70 times in one month and i won 2 times lol
worst days for me with AK
but after that I am winning again
So its just variance and you will find good days with AK , just keep playing

I

ivandrago

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The AK is very good hand and infact top hand in unpair range and Does well against pairs too
but we win 50% only most of the times and 70% + if we are up against an lower Ax than us
what u are currently facing is nothing but variance
hell its even happened to me for whole month
I Shoved AK or AKs 70 times in one month and i won 2 times lol
worst days for me with AK
but after that I am winning again
So its just variance and you will find good days with AK , just keep playing

Guess youre right. Feel better now
I think though, apart from the maths, you need to evaluate that we sometimes get overexcited when it comes and we often play it wrong. it just cost me too much man

A

Alessix3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you Ivandrago, it's a matter of statistics

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK looks pretty, but it is still just a drawing hand. You need to play it accordingly.

It gets overplayed a lot.

I try to use it to steal the blinds or play a medium sized pot. I'm always hesitant to put all my chips in with a drawing hand if it can be helped. Easy fold on a dry board.

I think you need to decide how you want to play AK then stick with it. You can't say it always loses when you are playing it many different ways. Start with the basics. Raise, re-raise, and c-bet. Try to keep control of the pot and if you miss, let it go, don't fall in love.

bettafold

bettafold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys.

I raise it, i push it, i slow play it, it call it, i smack it ahh... almost always lose.

Are you talking about online or live?
To me, they are less valuable online. In live games, even if you miss completely, they can often have more showdown value than online. Someone's always got some kind of made hand online, it seems like

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys.

Here is a 10 year old thread on big slick(AK) you might find helpful.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/big-slick-75292/?highlight=big+slick

I understand that AK is not a made hand but if played correctly it shouldn't be a losing hand, personally I have around a 65% win rate with AK, suited and off suit combined.
Make sure to check out the link provided, it helped me when I had a similar question.

Last edited:
S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just rememer TPTK can be a beastly hand, but make sure you dont overplay it, if your called down, or worse somebody is going agro against you, likelyhood is your beat,

my personal Aim for AK is to win small pots, but if i can get it headsup with a larger raise pre, im a happy bunny but most times i dont expect to see the river unless im beat

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend by situation,sometimes call,sometime raise,and sometimes fold.
You have many factor,so you can't always play similarly as previous time.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one can lose with AA against one player ... Ak is a good hand to raise preflopp but it depends on the situation.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a good hand to raise, re-raise and call, but not a suicide hand to loose all your chips. It´s good over a AJ, AQ, but if your opponent has an AA hou have only 11,5% of chances to win. And if your opp has an JJ you still has only 45,9% of winning chances.

F

Feel_i_Pok

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, I play AK like the any other connectors, but may be a bit more aggressive

BCK777

BCK777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a good hand but i like play on the flop because we play a poker no lottery !

Mka69

Mka69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always trusted in this hand, but when I am met in - bank of fish with T2o and won... I stop being assured with any cards. A conclusion - to play on a board.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK need to play aggressively pre-flop regardless of position

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's not that horrible :)
You just need to be carefull how to play it according to different blind levels , villains , boards ,position,etc.
At the first blind levels and on the first (early ) positions it's usually hard ,and on micros very hard , but you raise x3, if you get reraised you call, you c bet if you can on flop while being very carefull with ONE villain , on the turn it depends if your odds have been improved (AKs flush or straight draws) or else I am ready to fold it (it depends on the foe).
Whether I'm gonna defend my AK by cbetting or not , has to do with the number of villains (more than two=no from me) and position but now we're talking for EP so on flop with two villains and more I don't donkey bet , don't know if it's right or not.....
Let's say I lose this time (the first time I play AK ) , and I get one more time AK , this time I'll play it x3 ,if reraised I'LL shove if I have low stack ,
I mean it's not very difficult to play it . If you're carefull at the beginning when the blinds are low and you cannot protect your hand sufficiently , later everything is easier :)

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
positioning is actually the most important things to play this kind of hand. You cant ridiculously raise from UTG or limp over SB. However playing it agressively pre-flop is recommended.