Methods?

D

Dakkedalle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey y'all what do you do to focus better at ur games?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do all my computer and phone stuff before I play. Then I turn off the phone. Once I am in a game I put on headphones to reduce outside noise. I sometimes play music like soft jazz and other times I simply listen to sounds of the game. I try hard to watch my opponents when I have folded my hand. All these things keep my attention on the game and, when something intervenes, I find it easy to get back in focus afterwards.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
At first I misread your question!

How to focus better at games? :stupido2:

A good way to approach this problem might be to look at it from another angle...

What distracts you from your games? :wink:

Removing/avoiding distractions will probably be more effective than trying to 'focus more'. :)

I've played a lot of online poker over the last four or so years, in all sorts of different environments (only having access to mobile platforms has its perks) and can safely say that, of all the 'standard' distractions, other people are more distracting than anything else.

If the person(s) play(s) poker themselves and understand what is required to play effectively, then they will usually be beneficial to have around as they know not to interfere with your thought process while tanking but are there to discuss & let off steam from interesting/funny/annoying/weird spots after the hand is over.

However if they don't play poker, or are rookies, they are oblivious to how detrimental it is to be asked inane questions while you're furiously trawling through the dark recesses of the brain as the last few seconds drip from the action clock while desperately trying to extrapolate any clues from the line which might yield some kind of indication whether the villain's river shove is air or the nuts.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

To improve concentration, I often listen to music while playing and I think this is the most effective method.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

Focus is a skill as others stated.

create a checklist of ways to refocus- have the checklist open as you play

use a timer to remind yourself to refocus

when not in a hand pick a player at your table to think about how they play and how to beat them

Hope this helps
:):)

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online: I use headphones to block out any noise from my housemates and dog. I also put some music in the background that doesn't have lyrics, only instruments.

Live: In-person I try to focus on the math on the hands that I am NOT in, so I can practice well for hands that I AM in! :)

D

Dakkedalle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All kinds of methods.

It is some really interesting things you all are mentioning! Thanks for the advises everybody!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Meditation helps me a lot. With daily meditation, I can easily stay focused for a long time. I am convinced that meditation is the best way to improve concentration.