Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Many factors contribute to the results in the game of poker. Do you believe that the mental factor can also get in the way of the game?

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. And in ways that aren't super obvious.

If I'm annoyed with someone or something, I get worse results at the tables. If I'm hungry, tired, or rushed, same thing. I used to "fit a few hands of poker in" if I have 20 minutes to kill. I don't do that anymore.

One of the biggest things for me mentally/physically that I've adjusted that I find incredibly helpful, I don't play any poker now until the following three conditions have been met.

1) All my big responsibilities/jobs for the day have been taken care of
2) I've been outside, even if just for a few minutes
3) I've done my stretches. I have a 20 minute stretching routine that I do every day. (I picked up this habit years ago in physio-therapy by a therapist who took inspiration from yoga)

Those three things combined with staying hydrated and not playing frustrated or tired are vital for my mental game.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By mental factors, I'm thinking that you mean tilt.

Most people are familiar with tilt when you are losing, but there is also 'Winner's Tilt' which can happen when you're doing well. You start over bluffing and playing a bit more arrogantly. And soon, your stack is dwindling...

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The psychological factor is always an obstacle for beginners. Because basically they start playing without any game plan, without considering the playing styles of their opponents, they try to win every hand and get frustrated when this does not happen.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since it is a mind sport, it is natural that the spirit is important.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes ofcourse mental aspect of the game and attitude when playing is just as or even more important then knowing how to play well in theory. It is if we have this mental toughness and positive outlook on the game that allows the knowledge to be put to good use.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, in my opinion there are some points that affect the game of poker and are not explained by any logical arguments or mathematical calculations. But this happens to all of us not only in poker, but also in everyday life.

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The psychology of the game is so important, it can turn a winning player into a loser in a matter of seconds. Having emotional control and accepting variance is what makes a player maintain regularity and this can be a game changer between profit and loss in Poker.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing for a long time and the psychological pressure of losing is not reflected on me. I'm kind of hardened to fail.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure it can. But I found an antidot to the mental factor - couple of beers ;)

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mental factor is only earned by building a reputation.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is very important

adrenaline control , experience , passive play due to being scared , anger , tilt ....all have big impacts on your game

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Always ask yourself: 'What would someone do in this situation, who's not a total idiot?'

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes! Most will think of tilt when running poorly/unlucky, but perhaps just as important is to avoid overconfidence when you are getting lucky, or not trusting your own poker intuition etc.

Yes, as long as poker remains a game with a "human element" then poker will continue to feature human emotions such as this mental factor; it is important.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Mental fatigue is also a factor. See a lot of players play great, lose focus, and give it all away.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's the most important factor I guess. I remember losing 6 flips in a row. It was a super tilting experience and I was playing bad. It just adds to the downswing.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
mental is definitely big part of poker, you have to be always 100% laser focus and not thinking of other things when playing or else you are doomed

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one of the biggest skill is to loose the least possible amount when you are tilting. And of course everyone will sometimes tilt, so it's a lot about tilt management. So the mental aspect is vital in your long term results.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker needs Full Focus more than you think.
You are playing more against the software than the other players. Do you think when you go all in with AA
against the larger stack & the larger stack gets a 2 on the river to fill in an inside strait that it was just bad luck? :rolleyes: