Mental discipline, to not go broke, unless nuts

P

pokeyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A common pattern of mistakes that most people make is to bet high on a hand, that is good but not good enough and then realize at the showdown they are beaten.

Once we get into betting big on flop, we somehow feel committed to the pot, and on the turn and river we just keep going high without realizing we are risking it all.

How do we acquire the mental discipline to:

- Never go broke unless nuts
- Never bet beyond a certain allowed threshold for each kind of hand; Say for a high pair never put more than 6BB into the pot. For a set never put more than 10BB
- Never call other people raises (unless nuts); you should be the one raising else just quit

Assuming we don't have the mental discipline to control this. What other measures can we take to ensure we don't get hurt by this?

For e.g., Never bet in pots but only in blinds

M

meancheetah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
mentally strong

i would look at your hand, and see how strong it is. try to get the best hand you can, and try not to lose to a better hand.

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel what you are saying, I tend to make that mistake a lot in cash games which I started playing recently. Another issue I have is I keep thinking other players are bluffing me too frequently and they usually aren't.

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chance to loose

I think the best practice is to look up if your hand can be beaten, and wat beats it, what are the chances that other player to have the right cards to beat u, I lost a hand having color to K and lost it with color to A, even i almost had ir it has the chance to loose.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is a virtue!!!!!! Not a lot have the patience it requires sometimes.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, when we are talking about nuts, in texas hold'em, we are talking on few hands of the fewer hands that we decide to play. What I am trying to say is that you don't use to get the nuts so often. You can do it on Omaha more frequentely.

But I got your idea, learn how to play poker is a difficult task and requires time and dedication. Learn how to play each kind of hand and each position and learn how to do if you get raise or 3bet... You must know as many probabilities as your mind can remember because in seconds you have to make tough decisions every time.

finally sorry for the spealing mistakes i'm having problems with my gramma corrector.

P

pokeyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally am finding the below rules of help; All of these are post-flop

Bet Size in Proportion to hand size: Be ready to throw away high pair, if someone raises a big bet. Any other better hand too (say set) be ready to throw away if the bet size grows high and there is possibility of a better hand (str8 / flush) on board.

Emotionally always avoid excitement. If you get excited about a hand, you are most likely to become pot committed and lose big.

Avoid Early Pot Commitment:
Avoid betting on flop and only get into the betting in later stages; this will avoid risks. The only exception where you try to bet on flop is when you have a high pair and others could have drawing hands

Pre-Flop

Never call pre-flop raises, unless you have QQ, KK, AA and may be AK, JJ

I

Izazul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i agree sometimes we get carried away with our hands...as mentioned in another post discipline is extremely extremely important, no big bets unless you have the Nuts or a really good read

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just read an article on pokerstars. It was about knowing when you are "running good". It's a period of time when you play really, really well. It can be a very short period of time (I call it a lucky streak) or it can be over several games where the cards are always stacked in your favor. I feel a rush when this happens and am usually in awe and shocked. The article recommends for you to recognize this and use it to your benefit, but also be careful when it disappears.

It has happened to me but not frequently. I just found the article very interesting.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The easiest way to stay out of difficult situations - tighten up your range and focus on playing in position.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't have the mental discipline to play poker rationally, then you are really a gambler and you might as well play black jack.

S

slappy813

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like the OP has to make sure not to take those rules too literally. if you do then you will folding way to often, your opponents will notice, and you will either lose a lot of money or break even. you should really try to focus on pot control, pot odds, implied odds, and keeping your range tight but also wider when in later position. if you always fold to a raise then you will let your opponents run over you, and if you only bet the nuts then you will be wasting your money because the nuts only come some often.