Maverick is this the best way to play poker

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people will have watched the film. For the first hour not be bothered about winning a hand. Just getting information of other players what sort of range they are using finding out whether they bluff. Information that can give you the advantage later on when the game gets more serious. But is this the best strategy?

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people will have watched the film. For the first hour not be bothered about winning a hand. Just getting information of other players what sort of range they are using finding out whether they bluff. Information that can give you the advantage later on when the game gets more serious. But is this the best strategy?

The film is wonderful. But it's definitely not about poker ;)

Hitmanshoot

Hitmanshoot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahaha yes I agree with u it's I beautiful movie but not poker its not subject haha

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Or you can just watch the game of the participants as a spectator, and then use late registration :D

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Definitely a great movie. But I don't think you should use such a strategy. I think the most important thing is to always be focused, patient and never show your emotions.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's always good to size up your opponents, but there's no reason to wait an hour before applying the information you've gained to the game. In most of your SNGs you'd have a critically low chip stack after waiting an hour to play. In larger tournaments with fifteen-minute blind raises you might have a little longer, but not much. In a ring game you could sit all day waiting for preflop aces or kings but see if you get any action. Sorry to say, Maverick is a movie that bears little resemblance to reality and nothing more. Same thing could be said for Rounders with Matt Damon. The movie was more accurate regarding poker than Maverick, but then they ruined it by having Matt toward the end of the movie tell the Russian about his cookie tell. No player on earth would ever divulge to another player what they know about his or her tells. Again, pure fantasy, the stuff movies are made of.