Is is mathematically correct to never fold a boat?

J

JR1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just something Ive been pondering as Ive been beaten by quads twice and a better boat in recent succession, which got me thinking should I be taking more care when I hit the full house?

I guess for example there must be some numbers somewhere that shows how often you run into quads when holding a full house..

If your only holding a boat due to your pocket pair (lets say 77+) should I be more cautious than I currently am?
I would find more folds if I had 22-66 facing an aggressive river bet but thats down to considering higher pocket pairs could easily be there.

But I don't think anyone can easily (if ever) really fold a full house..

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have folded the FH a couple times and it turned out to be the right call. Both times I had the FH with the lower set and my opponent had the same with the higher set.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Stack sizes? Betting action? Board texture?

It's pretty hard to fold a full house, but given the right combination of the above, it could happen. With 100xbb stacks (and hold'em), I am having trouble thinking of what board or action would make me do it.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not too uncommon to be correct to fold a full house. Against a tight opponent who raises/bets big at the river with deep stacks, you would usually have a clear fold in situations such as:

** Holding KQ on 555 A A
** Holding JT on K T 777
** Holding Q7 on AAQ Q 5

If you restrict to situations where the board has a single pair and you make a full house using both hole cards, it's very rare (being correct to fold your full house) but still happens occasionally in very tight-range situations.

Folding in Poker