Manipulating the hand

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Occasionally I will raise just to get a specific player to reraise (hopefully go all in,) with the intent that someone on the table will be able to take them out as I fold and watch.

This usually only works when you have a very aggressive player and a nit that you can pit against each other.

Does anyone else have a similar strategy? Something that you only use very rarely with the perfect conditions.

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Occasionally I will raise just to get a specific player to reraise (hopefully go all in,) with the intent that someone on the table will be able to take them out as I fold and watch.

This usually only works when you have a very aggressive player and a nit that you can pit against each other.

Does anyone else have a similar strategy? Something that you only use very rarely with the perfect conditions.
I do not strive for this, it just turns out that way!

J

Jrrazor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is if he bluffs, u can re reis him but is verry risky cause if he realy have, then u are GG

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, it all depends on your opponents at the table. But virtually every player has their own similar systems. Personally, it brings me great joy if I manage to lure my opponent into a trap.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I can op-limp at EP to provoke some nearby "pro" to isolate at the middle of the table, while many players behind yet to take their action. But that's just a gimmick to me.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only use this method if I think it will call out more action from other players and if it has the potential to eliminate another player. Specially once in the money.
I am surprised by how often this does work.
And a side effect is it throws off your stats for a raise fold when others are using software like poker tracker. Gotta keep everyone guessing on all levels.
Just gotta watch your stack size and don't allow yourself to get into a trap. When I do this, I have full intentions to fold and not play out the hand.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can allow you to play the same way but with a larger stack. More often, such players will face each other themselves. The Main Thing Is To Wait.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lets try some math. You raised that means you departed some of your chips.
That person re-raised and taken over by another person. That means you just created a chip leader on your table. And they usually try to dominate the table.
Now where do you stand? You lost some chips. You are on losing side. If you want to improve your position then you have to get some chips from some where. And the only place where you can get the chips is chip leader. And getting chips from chip leader is not an easy task.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets try some math. You raised that means you departed some of your chips.
That person re-raised and taken over by another person. That means you just created a chip leader on your table. And they usually try to dominate the table.
Now where do you stand? You lost some chips. You are on losing side. If you want to improve your position then you have to get some chips from some where. And the only place where you can get the chips is chip leader. And getting chips from chip leader is not an easy task.
Your response is a perfect example to why this works. Who says I am not chip leader before and after the hand?
Think outside the box. This would not be a move to put yourself behind.
If I really need to explain how it works, you can see it when it happens to you.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One needs a very strong and specific read on players at the table to implement this strategy. I don't think there is any EV generation for me doing this.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have never tried this strategy. I hope I am at a table with you someday so I can see this in action.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands