• Thread starter This Fish Chums
  • Start date
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can get away with a small bet or call pre-flop, like 1-3 times big blind, then go ahead and play your small pocket pairs (like 66 or lower). You'll make the set enough of the time that it's worth staying in for low preflop betting. But remember, if you don't hit your set on the flop keep in mind you're playing a rag pair. Don't call a bet post flop unless you've hit your set. Those 6's ain't gonna beat crap when the flop comes AK7.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The amount to call preflop is not the only thing to consider when set-mining. You need to look of stacks are deep enough to set-mine, at least 20-25x the bet. Also of there are agresive players behind you who might raise it's better to reconsider. And lowball is actually a type of poker (2-7nl with 1 draw) so im not really sure what you mean by lowball cause it's really bad to have a pair on that type of game.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought the question about lowball and this is again what that vague question about small pairs. Speaking on the subject matter, if you're dealt a small pair in lowball, a card is very difficult for something to be changed, so my answer to this stupid question.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lowball is a variant of poker that isn't NLHE. Triple and Single draw 2-7 are Lowball.

I too was expecting some lowball strat not set-mining in NLHE.

Like Gohaku94 said, set-mining depends on stack size as well. You don't ALWAYS want to set-mine just because its not that big of a raise.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Playing small pairs can be profitable if you get in with a small bet and hit your three of a kind. Good luck at the tables.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize, I did not realize lowball was a type of poker. I was talking about low pairs and thought I'd call them lowball pairs. Again, I apologize.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize, I did not realize lowball was a type of poker. I was talking about low pairs and thought I'd call them lowball pairs. Again, I apologize.

It's cool, I was just thinking pairs are trash in lowball. :D

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I approach small pairs is limp cheaply into a pot because you ain't going outplay someone with a low pocket pair. When you do hit a set don't slow play it because one bad beats can happen and two your opponents could also check behind not adding value to the pot.

Add value to the pot by betting your sets.