Is low suited connectors nice...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you making it 8x preflop?

I understand it's heads up, but that bet size is just ridiculous. Nobody with villain's stack size should just be cold calling 40% of their stack preflop to just fold on the flop. Jamming with anything decent is 100% standard at that point.

The problem is, if villain does shove, you put yourself in a very bad spot because you either fold and give up 8 bbs or you call in a spot you are never ahead in. Tell me, what range do you think villain is jamming here with? What range do you beat? (hint: none). So, you're best hope in this spot is villain folds and you pick up 1 bb. That's hardly worth the risk vs reward situation you put yourself in.

And no, it's not good against a/x hands, either. Not only is nobody's shoving range going to be just a/x, especially heads up but you're virtually never ahead of any hand here, except maybe 23o. You block some outs to the wheel draw, true, but a/x doesn't need to hit a wheel to beat you and you aren't drawing to anything better enough times to make this a profitable long term play.

Look at your equity in the hand, you're only winning this 35% of the time. Did you win it this situation? Yes. Does that make it a good play? No.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can 3-bet wide heads-up, but still not anything as bad as 32s. This is just a call preflop, and then a fold, if he C-bet the flop.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like suited connectors. I often win with them, but I don't raise pre-flop.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
What did you think he had on hand? Something worth less than 23s? Even if you won it was only luck that the 2 came on the turn. Poker is much more than just luck and being able to fold is one of them.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm an idiot and completely misread the bet sizing. My mistake and my apologies, ignore everything I wrote above.

I don't like the 3bet. I hate the jam call even more. That's all I have to say about that.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you making it 8x preflop?
In a first half-second that min-raise seemed to me as a disguised limp. So I isolated; made up size on a fly. I only forgot that there is no one left to isolate from.
Sometimes I have that instinctive behavior, to re-act as fast as I can. Like there is a car jumped out from a corner at full speed. Maybe this hand made me feel endangered and its triggered "hit or run" mode.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody talking about just Ax range but most range is Ax and not particularly shove. You can notice some players like to limp any Ax from any position. Also when someone going below 10bb, most of their pushes would be Ax.
If you don't wanna stuck in AJ+88+ range against them, suited connectors looks good, better than the rest of broadway.