Low Pocket Pair Play

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 22 to 88 pocket pair

Someone Raises 2x bb preflop you call...

You dont make a set on the flop ( rainbow including overcards - No connecting - Equal Chipstacks - Mid Tournament )

Another Raise 1/4 or 1/2 pot to you.

How often are you staying in?

Last edited:
J

JeremyDCowan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally depends on what the flopped dropped. Do I have odds of connecting anything, do I out chip my opponent? Are we deep in a tourney, early, or is it a cash game?

I play different scenarios very different ways.

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally depends on what the flopped dropped. Do I have odds of connecting anything, do I out chip my opponent? Are we deep in a tourney, early, or is it a cash game?

I play different scenarios very different ways.

Corrected it with requested information. Thanks!

J

JeremyDCowan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a tough call,.....hahahaha GET IT!?!?

Anyway, I'm 50/50. I'll either call and see a turn, if still no set and a face card hits I'm betting big repping it.

Or, I fold and wait for the next hand.
Corrected it with requested information. Thanks!

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on what hit on the flop. If its all cards I dont see my opponent having obviously I will play it strong even without hitting...

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You dont make a set on the flop ( rainbow including overcards - No connecting - Equal Chipstacks - Mid Tournament )

My initial thoughts...could be wrong. Tell me if i am. lol

Especially if the board has paired and the board has bricked for the most part. no high cards. I'd plan to call a tighter villian and raise an aggressive villian that i'd suspect of floating with two overs to the board. If i get re raised on the flop i fold. If i face a big bet on the turn to a scare card, i fold. I think that could be leaky tho. If you call a bet in position to a c-bet raise and allways fold to a scare card on the river...would be a big leak. Those are some fun spots where you've really gotta trust your intuition and get out when you see enough reasons to think theres something sinister in the water.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

So, this will all depend on live reads.. how has the player been playing? what is our range on villain? Villain min. raises... but what position is villain min. raising? MP EP LP? each raise in each position gives a different range... how the player plays gives a different range. I'll need this information before being able to give a logical response.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
basically it will come down too if I feel I'm ahead of villains range I will call and if not I will fold... Also for SPR what the actual stacks are matters too. equal stacks isn't enough information

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a low pocket pair, I try to limp, and try as cheap as possible to see the flop. I can also call a standard raise if I play in a position.
If the flop came set, then play. If there is no set - then it is possible to make a check or a bet; raise from the opponent on the flop - fold. If the stack is short, then it is possible to put all-in from any position.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont have 30bbs effective stack sizes I would fold preflop, and unless you have some sort of crazy read that the villian likes to cbet fold you should probably fold to the cbet.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just do not fall in love with Pocket pairs they are tricky and could make you loose a big portion of your stack// I hate limping and I prefer 3bets with low pairs if in position out of position I fold them or just flat call some minraises thus to enduce and to make up my hand (makes it look like a big pair) but this should be manipulated with caution if you 3bet flop and you get a dry board all will depend on the type of Villain so when we are playing against a tight conservative player check and raise Turn and if it's an AggroManiac who keeps C-bet and flop is not his range I will reraise anyboard and triple barrel the Turn or the River. All depends on your reads of opponent ranges and types.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost always I'll throw off maps, only, if I well know adversary,then can go all-in, but this very difficult decision and likely losing!

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just do not fall in love with Pocket pairs they are tricky and could make you loose a big portion of your stack// I hate limping and I prefer 3bets with low pairs if in position out of position I fold them or just flat call some minraises thus to enduce and to make up my hand (makes it look like a big pair) but this should be manipulated with caution if you 3bet flop and you get a dry board all will depend on the type of Villain so when we are playing against a tight conservative player check and raise Turn and if it's an AggroManiac who keeps C-bet and flop is not his range I will reraise anyboard and triple barrel the Turn or the River. All depends on your reads of opponent ranges and types.

I do pretty similar here but just sucks when you hit set over set but cant escape the coolers. Just goes to show the importance of tracking opponents habits and pray they are not sleeping on a big hand.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do pretty similar here but just sucks when you hit set over set but cant escape the coolers. Just goes to show the importance of tracking opponents habits and pray they are not sleeping on a big hand.
That's all about the right spots Poker needs the true spirit of a hunter you just avoid facing bears with forks. Analyse,step back,breath aim and shoot! Balanced range vs Polarized Range and vice versa. Always depict and study opponent rangés and exploit their weakness sometimes even Tightness or Aggressivity or whatever is weakness to be exploités.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position , and I think it will be better to fold this hand .

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not getting into the set, if there is a big bet, I usually throw low pocket pairs 22-99

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest we have way to little information to make a decision here. Which position are we in? How does the villain play etc. I'd suggest posting a couple of hands you played in which this happened so we can discuss the specifics of the hand ^^

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on the flop I would play 77+

like 5,9,3 flop

22-66 is low pairs 77-JJ middle pairs

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low pocket pair basically plays pre-flop. If the set does not exit, the cards are discarded.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your set mining and you flat miss with no connection, get away, that’s the basic to me.
On the other hand, if everyone checks, you get another look, who knows what may come, GL