Low pair

wanted2090

wanted2090

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best way to play a low pair? I am sometimes not sure how I should play with a low pocket pair. Raising preflop? Call a high bet even if you dont hit the set?

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no correct way to play a low pair its more down to the reads you have on opponents. If the person who bets is TAG i'll usually fold or call in position, if its a LAG i'll usually 3 bet in position or call out of position to see a cheap flop. But every player has their own way of playing low pairs and you should take the advice given by players but then mould it to your own style of playing.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to see cheap flop if hit a set then bet for value..
it depends upon table dynamics..
If you are 1st to get in pot and blinds are high then call or just raise if blinds are low then make a standard raise.. if get a reraise from TAG fold if from LAG then call..

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm sitting in early position I pass, and if I sit on the late I call.

M

maloxu82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I do - if I'm in early position I bet normal size (2.5-3bb , if someone 3 bet me I fold) or limp ( try to hit a set as cheap as possible) - if someone 3bet small I can also call.

If I'm on the button I also bet normal size because It's not that strong hand (there's little chance that you'll have overpair). If someone raised before me I can 4 bet him but only when he's a fish or LAG , others scenarios I'm folding.

ollaf

ollaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I do - if I'm in early position I bet normal size (2.5-3bb , if someone 3 bet me I fold) or limp ( try to hit a set as cheap as possible) - if someone 3bet small I can also call.

If I'm on the button I also bet normal size because It's not that strong hand (there's little chance that you'll have overpair). If someone raised before me I can 4 bet him but only when he's a fish or LAG , others scenarios I'm folding.

Me too, normally I do in the same way.

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am in early position I try to hit a set but not raise that much or nothing on pre flop.

On the Button I raise about 2,5-3BB.

A low pair is very weak if you don't hit a set or straight draw.

V

Vardenis Pavardenis

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a rule I think, that with low pair you should call up to 1/20th of your stack in order to exercise the possibility of catching a set :)

K

kaetzchenfg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I 3bet if nobody did it yet. So I can bring to fold those with bad hands and fill the pot if I hit a set. If someone else bets high I fold.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of hitting a set on the flop are 7.5:1. You can't afford to set-mine every hand at an aggressive table, at least not from early position. Also, at a full ring table, your 222 may be dominated by 777 or 888 or any other set on the flop, turn or river. If I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get raised pre-flop by reasonable players (i.e., not maniacs) and I'm in early position I will usually fold. If I'm in late position and the hand is unopened or maybe just one limper I will raise because I am planning on taking down the hand post without making the set. If I do make the set, then that is simply an unexpected bonus.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to see a cheap flop and go set mining. A cheap turn may be worth a look as well but past that check'em to big raises you are dominated to often.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's an example of two small pairs (55 and 99) playing out of position against a big pair (KK). The KK (heavily favored pre-flop) was the only pair that didn't make the set, but ended up winning anyway with one card to a flush.

How many time do you see three pairs (two making a set) at a 6-max table?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $3.59
BB: $2.00
UTG: $2.00
MP: $2.92
Hero (CO): $1.82
BTN: $1.91

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has J:spade: 2:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.06, MP calls $0.06, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.10, UTG calls $0.04, MP raises to $0.14, BB calls $0.04, UTG calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.43, 3 players) 9:spade: 5:spade: 8:spade:
BB checks, UTG bets $0.20, MP raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.40, UTG raises to $1.86 and is all-in, MP calls $1.46, BB calls $1.46 and is all-in

Turn: ($6.01, 3 players) 7:club:

River: ($6.01, 3 players) T:spade:

BB shows 5:heart: 5:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Fives)

UTG shows 9:club: 9:heart: (Three of a Kind, Nines)

MP shows K:diamond: K:spade: (Flush, King High)

MP wins $5.80

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Depends from what kind of low pair. If your instinct says go on, then give it a try!:D