Loose passive fish

M

MJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

So because of the worldwide coronavirus situation I have decided that my isolation project is learning poker and I hope it’ll be something that I continue to learn

Recently I’ve had 2 similar situations involving what I believe is a loose passive fish according to their VPIP/PFR (in the region of 45/15)

What happens is that they just limp along and check/call even with decent hands. This makes me believe that I have the better hand so I continue raising and they keep limping. At the end it turns out that they have the better hand.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat!
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question since I don't understand poker enough to give others advice on strategy.
But I have a wish for you which in my opinion is better than strategy advice: Get lucky! :)

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending how much they're paying attention you could raise slightly bigger with better hands (trips or higher) get two streets of value from top pair! In general in cash games you'll start fairly deep 100bb usually so the value of 1 pair hands goes down and you shouldn't be ready to go broke on a 1 pair hand!
But in general it sounds like you're in a pretty good spot to me! You're in the driver's seat you're driving the action, so just drive a little faster with big hands and delay your c bet with 1 pair hands and try play a lot more from button/cut off!
If any of this confuses you let me know I can go a little deeper!

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do the opponent always calls no matter how big your bet amount is?

If that's the case, it's easy, make your range wider. Flop bad hand, check, turn still bad, check, river nuts, all in. It's just check or all in. And never all in preflop.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

So because of the worldwide coronavirus situation I have decided that my isolation project is learning poker and I hope it’ll be something that I continue to learn

Recently I’ve had 2 similar situations involving what I believe is a loose passive fish according to their VPIP/PFR (in the region of 45/15)

What happens is that they just limp along and check/call even with decent hands. This makes me believe that I have the better hand so I continue raising and they keep limping. At the end it turns out that they have the better hand.

Thanks

Thank you for your post. I would play tighter. Only bet your premium hands and draws and use a little pot control when you have mediocre hands. Also I would make large raises often with my stronger hands so when you get AA or KK they won't fold preflop and you can get paid. Good Luck.

Good Luck To All:cool:

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi

Thanks

This is the ideal player to play against, but recognise that even the worst player in the world will wake up with a good hand from time to time.

Some suggestions:
Play slightly tighter; this will give you an even bigger range advantage than you would normally have and avoids you getting caught in awkward situations like top pair crappy kicker or middle pair, good kicker.
Make sure you play position properly; just because he's a weak player does not mean you want to be playing a bunch of pots out of position to him.
Vary your bet sizing to match your hand strength; normally this would be a massive no no, but against a seriously weak player, you can reasonably believe he is not paying much attention to bet sizing. Be prepared to check down marginal made hands all the way to the river, better to win a small pot, than lose a big one because he flops a straight and check calls all 3 streets.
Do NOT bluff; calling stations can almost never be bluffed off any kind of hand so attempting even the most believable bluff is not going to profitable in the long run. If he folds you probably had a reasonable chance to win at showdown anyway and you haven't risked any more of your stack.