Looking for advice what route to take with poker

H

hpdeuces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Newish to poker but have put in good time studying, especially 6-seat 10NL cash games. I feel comfortable 3 tabling and am currently recouping my bankroll from a few unlucky coinf lip situations. Whilst I am confident I will progress higher up in cash games I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to incorporate MTT's into my bankroll strategy. I enjoy them but also find you need to be very lucky to get anywhere near final table for the 1000+ tournaments. I find it just ends up with someone going all in preflop nearly every hand. Whats the best way to incorporate them without putting a big dent in your bankroll(200). freerolls just don't cut it.

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to incorporate them without putting a big dent in your bankroll?

Erm...play cheap tournaments.

Did you really need help with this?

H

hpdeuces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pull yer finger out

was thinking a bit more detailed than this...i.e. allocating a certain percentage of winnings to tournament entry fees something along those lines

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
If you are new to MTT follow 100BI bankroll management.

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
was thinking a bit more detailed than this...i.e. allocating a certain percentage of winnings to tournament entry fees something along those lines
Yeah exactly this! If you're playing 10nl and you have a particularly good winning day just enter a tournament with some of the winnings! Maybe like a 2/3/6 dollar tournament once every so often!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Newish to poker but have put in good time studying, especially 6-seat 10NL cash games. I feel comfortable 3 tabling and am currently recouping my bankroll from a few unlucky coinf lip situations. Whilst I am confident I will progress higher up in cash games I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to incorporate MTT's into my bankroll strategy. I enjoy them but also find you need to be very lucky to get anywhere near final table for the 1000+ tournaments. I find it just ends up with someone going all in preflop nearly every hand. Whats the best way to incorporate them without putting a big dent in your bankroll(200). Freerolls just don't cut it.

Never invest more than 1% of your bankroll in a tournament, focus on smaller field tournaments (under 500 or even under 100 players) at first where the swings are smaller.

In general until you feel very comfortable with cash games I wouldn't bother playing tournaments. They take a ton of time and don't offer the consistent earn that cash games do.

The benefit with tournaments is that when you make the final table you will often be playing for highish stakes against people who aren't used to playing at these limits. But you can only cash in on this if you are very confident in your game, so I would say get more practice first (the MTTs will always be there, not like they are going away :))

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are tournaments with max players, so if you are tired of tournaments with 1000+ players, feel free to find 256 player tournaments.