Limping on button HU in tourney

E

EuroJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HU SNGs were my bread and butter prior to black friday. Win rate was almost 70% according to OPR. My norm was to limp on the button most hands. I like it for several reasons and would be interested to hear feedback:
1. pot control. small ball offered the most consistency for me.
2. delays my positional value for later streets when the pot is usually larger
3. image - makes me seem much more passive than i really am
4. just different - offering villains' lines they are not used to

this isn't very popular though, from what I can tell

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With only 2 players, I'd be limping too. If i wanted to raise every hand that I was a button, I would enter higher cost HU tourneys .

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting, can see same way from time to time and dont know what to do with that strat
Waiting feedback too)

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My reasons for not limping the button usually involve stack depth and the desire to play bigger pots when I have position. But, in late tournament play, often the stacks aren't deep enough for position to really be the determining factor in who wins the hand. If anyone has anything, they're not folding. In those spots, I would limp a little more often. Or, for those who are in fold/shove mode, I would min-raise more often. They fold just about as frequently as a normal raise, and I lose less when they shove.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely understand your logic and I use to have similar strategy pre black Friday also. Now I think the game has changed a lot if you raise button wide range and don't call ton out small blind you will have control over most pot sizes. This will help to lead you to play most larger pots in position and you can do things such as pot control or value bet people to death. It is just amazingly hard to make ton of bets out of position in heads up to swell a pot or control it. Hope this perspective helps you out.

M

mulldoon787

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
shouldnt limp to often