Limp ?

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning guys ! I'm seeing a lot of players playing limping. I would like to know your opinions. Is it okay to play that way at the beginning of tournaments with hands of values ​​or is this a new strategy in poker, because we know that poker is always evolving every day.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Depending on the starting stack - I also see that more frequently in games with large and medium starting stacks. Obviously, that could not happen in turbo and hyper mtt's ...

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping during the first few levels of a tournament is fine in my opinion. The blinds are very small and there's probably no antes yet, so we're really not concerned about stealing the preflop pot just yet. I think its a perfectly valid strategy to play a very wide range of hands early in a tournament - what Daniel Negreanu calls "small ball", you don't have to pay much to see a flop and when you do hit the flop hard, you hand will be very disguised and hard to read properly and you might just be able to win a sizeable pot if our opponent can't find a fold with their AA or KK type of hands. But once the antes kick in and the preflop pots get larger, that's my cue to stop limping in with all the other donks, and to start getting more aggressive against them.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, this is an opportunity to hide the strength of the hand. But this allows many players to enter the game without paying a lot with very bad hands when the blinds are very small at the beginning of the tournament. I think it is absolutely right when you play very wide at the beginning of the tournament (the blinds allow you to do this) to increase your stack for playing in the tournament further. So I don't think it's right to play the limp of a very strong hand at the beginning of the tournament, it's wrong.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In cc tourneys I limp expecting a raise. Works for me. Most players have no clue as to what I have! I do ok playing the limp game!

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can also limp with AA if you have a situation where this is the right strategy. For example, you are in position against a player who is raising when you limp. By limping against him, you provoke him to aggression with the worst hand.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages, limping can be beneficial, you can easily hide a Premium hand or call a not-so-strong hand without risking your stack.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping occasionally to mix things up is ok but generally it's a losing proposition. Most of the time we don't improve on the flop. That's why aggression is a very important tool in any players kit. Your non-aggression just waves a white flag and invites others to take the betting lead. When the flop comes and you don't hit the board (which happens most of the time) what do you do when another player bets? You're going to do what most limpers do...fold.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people who limp in esp up front or deep are usually of two or three types and all are pretty terribad. Now Im not talking about controlled open limps from a late position players against weak blinds or in short stacked situations where these limps are strategically OK.

but these folks are those who usually:

lfi with hands they should rfi, these are tight players for the most part.

lfi or over limp lots of hands esp in games where there are over limps and 5 way pots. these are your general loose passives

limp weak and those that limp strong, for a reason. which is usually not a very well thought out reason

HUDs are the best way to determine which, coupled with "OBSERVATION".

Mix this information with a good isolation strategy and you will do well as long as you keep your ego in check.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never limp, i can call behind.

you can use limp to show weakness but you opponent needs to be agressive and now a calling station. In a cheap buy in this strategy is sucessed to fail

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Based on what iv noticed over the years, players doing a lot of different things, limping can only mean one thing in early stage of tournaments, either they have good catching cards like suited connectors or a monster.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are weak players who play sluggishly, almost every hand and show a bad card on showdown, they often fall on my pre-flop bet, I play a lot of cards and watch the flop much more often than usual with a conservative hand, knowing that in most cases they will have a weaker card than you. As for opening weak pocket pairs I don't think you should limp them it's a weak game and it's better to throw them out or open with a raise in the game. Another thing is when a strong player with a pushing fold stack SB in BB plays sluggishly, trying to hide the strength of his hand by having a premium pocket pair AA-KK in the hope of luring the player so that BB puts the worst card in it. or when we have a lot of aggressive players at the table and we have a medium or push fold stack and we have a strong premium card and we are in an early or mid position we make a limp in the hope that our limp will be put or pushed by aggressive players after us then this is not considered a weak game

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It used to be considered that the limp action of a weak player, but now many top players use this action! in any case, the limping range is wide and I would choose a loose-passive style of play

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good players usually do not limp, they raise when first in the post and may over limp (calling a previous limp bet not the BB) with spec type hands, or lower pocket pairs. Limping premium hands allows other to see cards for cheap and allows your hand to become vulnerable. Why wouldn't you want to get the most money in pre-flop when more than likely you dominate your opponents?