Limp

O

ovanilton

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about seeing someone limp? Do you have any right time to limp?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unfortunately, at my age, limp is a less than desirable state of affairs.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do not like to play through limp

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone has a right to play however they want. Anyone else also may respond to limpers however they want. It could be a good way to pick up and extra couple BBs when raising limpers preflop, or depending on how many people have limped, it may sometimes be more profitable to also limp with hands that flop well multi-way. Everything is dependent on the situation.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that limp is a loss of money, and only.
because you give the opportunity to watch maps

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a speculative hand that you are looking to flop big and get paid, limping is fine because you want as many players in there as possible against you. I.e. small to mid pps and suited connectors.

I've seen so many players overplay their hands preflop, and end up with a bloated pot and lousy hand post flop. Guaranteed way to contribute coins.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping is fine in freerolls as somebody ( usually the next one because limping is not allowed,lol) will go ALL IN anyway and you see the pot before you lay down your aces or not ;)

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to never open limp but in some situations I will limp behind an open limp.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp with implied odds hands. Any pair and suited 1 gapper,suited connectors.

I raise with all my hands that work badly with multi-way pots, big aces.

Limping in cash game is a bad idea as it does not make sense with the structure. If the hand is good enough to play,depending on the player/position then it is good enough for a raise.

Last edited:
S

Sergey Emliutin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping is a non-profitable bet. Usually after limping you have a bad position. In most cases this is simply the loss of chips.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Far to many of the responses here are devoid of situational play. "Calling" or "Limping" is a legitimate play in a poker game, made at the right time, to maximize your expected value.

To say that limping is lost chips, over simplifies the action.

Furthermore, the question does not ask us whether we are limping pre-flop, or on another round. Read any good poker book and there are all kinds of discussions on when to limp and when not to limp - far too many to discuss here.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put limps so much with a small blind ... it's not often

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping is good only with speculative hands that can connect a hand, with stronger hands is better to raise with big hands because we want to play big pots

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly there are times when limping can be the play I just have such a hard time balancing. Usually leaning towards only doing it super nutted. Hard to limp regularl hands to balance.

R

RingKingInc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I see someone limp I generally put them on a weak hand. Dependant on my read of the player I'll usually raise to try and see what develops. I find limping can be a good choice in the small blind although it is certainly situational.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp as often as possible hoping to hit a big flop. If I can get in cheap with a decent hand that I normally wouldn't play , then why not? Also if I'm getting a good price for my limp in late position I will limp holding almost any two cards. Some of my biggest wins have come this way.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are first player to enter the hand you should very rarely be open limping, it is only a good play when you are in small blind, but from other positions you should mainly be raising or folding especially at deeper stacks. At smaller stack sizes (around 20-30BB) open limping some hands can be profitable.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like hard and fast rules for how one bets or base it on my cards. Every situation needs to be evaluated.

knowing that variance plays a huge role in this game the results of individual hands should not matter. How you played with the info you had at the time and did you make the "correct" move is all. (Easier said than done of course :) )

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not every time, plus 1x every 3 hijack with 56s like to apply a 3-bet light. I think we have to mix our game and not follow a pattern created by winning players.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never limp, because we give our opponent the chance to hit his hand.

Not every time, plus 1x every 3 hijack with 56s like to apply a 3-bet light. I think we have to mix our game and not follow a pattern created by winning players.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp and mix it up with them. I think that by applying a no limp strategy in your game, you remove a range your opponent must account for and now must only worry about an opening range and how to combat it. We’ll need to have confidence in our post flop play. We will have an attackers mentality.