Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Does anyone play Limit Holdem Poker any more?
If so, I am looking for a few modern pointers.

A group of old guys (me included) play a $1/$2 fixed limit game every week.
Table is 7-8 handed.
Buy-in is $40 with unlimited re-buys.
We play for 3 hours.
This is a recreational group that has been together for over 15 years.
I am a consistent long-term winner - but not big money.
Most guys are fish/limpers. We often see 5+ players going to the flop!!
I play a tight, aggressive game, but even my pre-flop raises (which are obviously limited to 2x the BB), are often called by 3-4 limpers.
Got any help for this kind of game?

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Wait for the good hands and then value bet the crap out of it.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In Limit, you have to be aggressive, because usually it is so cheap to see flops! So, if you have a hand worth to be played, raise! If someone raised before you, 3-bet! It doesn't matter if you have JTs on the button: 3-bet! With hands that play well post-flop you can do this, but also with pocket pairs.

With monster draws and top pair good kicker or better, try to build a big pot. Usually you will be the favorite in the hand (of course, the more opponents you are facing, the more the chances someone has two pair, a set or better).
When opponents are too passive (usually limping and just calling), be careful when they re-raise you: usually means that they have a great hand.

Well, in Limit, you can't bluff too much, specially when people usually pay you to the end, due to excellent pot odds. So you need to play for value most part of the time. It doesn't mean you can't bluff sometimes: you should, but it will not have the same effect as in Hold'em, remember that.

And sometimes when you go to the river, if you have 8:1 pot odds or something like that, you almost can't fold. This is not the street to lay a hand down, to make a hero fold (unless you are pretty sure you're beaten). But sometimes even Ace high is good in heads-up, or a middle pair, or a small pocket pair...

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the pointers rhoudini. I am aggressive with good opening hands, but your points imply an even more aggressive game than I play and a wider range of opening hands with which to raise and re-raise. Will have to give it a try.
Yes - the pots are frequently giving 8:1 odds or better on the river.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules