Like no other bad habits you pick up in life ... but the “Call” Hab

Yazi33

Yazi33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, recently new to poker and I believe it is a great brain-training hobbie.

Like any newbie I have read up on the forums and have a clear understanding of the basics, the overall general knowledge etc to know when to play a hand and when not to..

Now don’t get me wrong here, I am not giving out tips and tricks, I am simply reaching out to see how many others have picked up this #*%^*^___

irritating habit ..
that I “call” -No Caller ID

For example I have poket Jacks,
Flop- Q 3 3
Turn- J
But .. my opponent is suddenly being aggressive this hand and raise my bet. I have a full house but they obviously have a better house than mine .. or theyre bluffing but iknow very well they are not bluffing from how theyve been playing the last hour.

But before my neurotransmiters have even sent any signal to any receptors of my body .. I push Call.

So that is just a scenario of the hundreds of thousands of times that I call a bet when ive already predicted the possible outcomes, but when its black and white .. its a bad habbit and I NEED TO break it immediatley.

(Its more annoying than 50missed calls from an ex 9months after the breakup, or some online gaming site that will change the location of their call in hopes you might answer.)

I could never understand why people go out of their way when they know their odds.

But I can see the fine line between DESPERATE and HABIT
and i am in desperate need to break this habit.

So please share with me your stories if your in or have been in the same boat as me, id Love to hear about it.
-Yazmin, Pokerstars Rookie

Last edited by a moderator:
F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can relate to this, I've had a few moments where I know that Im beat but before I know it my body has pressed the call button. I guess its a beginners thing and you need to control it as time goes on. Glad to know Im not the only one lol

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have been there at one point or another, just earlier this week in a tournament I'm dealt KK in MP, UTG puts in a min-raise, I 3-bet, villain pushes which puts me into an all-in decision.
Villains stats are 16/12/14 but only over 50 hands, I contemplated a fold based on the stats, thinking villain may have AA but I call based on the high 3-bet % and low number of hands I have on villain.
Villain turns over AA, I hit a K on the flop, lucky me, villain doesn't improve and I double up

Even though I had a strong feeling villain was holding AA, I couldn't stop myself from calling.
Knowing your opponent will help you make your decisions easier.

BTW, you think you can lower your font to default size, we can see fine and don't need magnification.:D

And another thing, it's spelled "habit".

Last edited:
Yazi33

Yazi33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can relate to this, I've had a few moments where I know that Im beat but before I know it my body has pressed the call button. I guess its a beginners thing and you need to control it as time goes on. Glad to know Im not the only one lol

Thanks for your input!! ;)

Yazi33

Yazi33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have been there at one point or another, just earlier this week in a tournament I'm dealt KK in MP, UTG puts in a min-raise, I 3-bet, villain pushes which puts me into an all-in decision. Villains stats are 16/12/14 but only over 50 hands, I contemplated a fold based on the stats, thinking villain may have AA but I call based on the high 3-bet % and low number of hands I have on villain. Villain turns over AA, I hit a K on the flop, lucky me, villain doesn't improve and I double up Even though I had a strong feeling villain was holding AA, I couldn't stop myself from calling. Knowing your opponent will help you make your decisions easier. BTW, you think you can lower your font to default size, we can see fine and don't need magnification.:D And another thing, it's spelled "habit".
Hey thanks heaps for sharing your knowledge !! I truley appreciate it man. -its funny in a way though.. i guess its just the sub-conscious mind altering the heart rate for some oxygen ���� .. them feels r good az though !! . Oh shit- thats embarassing ���� .. i guess i just needed to make my spelling errors XXL to emphasis on the many bad “habits” picked up in life ...if it looks like What it sounds out..f*** it #education does matter for kids in lower societies ���� . �������� Thanks bro, sorry that must’ve been soo irritating LMAO.

Last edited:
Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Your post is awesome and easy to understand but some players would say in your scenario

"For example I have poket Jacks,
Flop- Q 3 3
Turn- J
But .. my opponent is suddenly being aggressive this hand and raise my bet."

You made the right move but because to bet instead of just called, your opponent picked up on that and raised the bet to throw you off.

In that same situation I would love the fact I'm now getting more value out of that hand.

Your are right most of the time when you're trying to get more value out of the hand NO ONE wants to bet and it throws you when they switch and try to re-raise you but that's natural to feel hesitant all of a sudden....

You made the right move to raise and over thought it at the end...

Did you get to see his higher full house?

Check this out... I had KK and went all in as the flop came down i was still ahead and there had not been a flush all night, not one!!

Attachments

• wow hand tournament end.jpg
    wow hand tournament end.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Yazi33

Yazi33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yo!! Thanks for your feedback! lts awesome to have a peek from another perspective, more positive [emoji16] and natural ! Thanks heaps for reassuring me though!

Omg that is crazy! I can imagine how frustrating that would’ve been, but the 1 n only flush of the night dammmn that wudve infuriated me !! I recall a similar thing happened to me but I was going for a ace high flush n the bastard stumped me with a straight flush . I felt so ripped off !!!

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Like any newbie I have read up on the forums and have a clear understanding of the basics, the overall general knowledge etc to know when to play a hand and when not to..

Now don’t get me wrong here, I am not giving out tips and tricks, I am simply reaching out to see how many others have picked up this #*%^*^___

irritating habit ..

Flop- Q 3 3
Turn- J
But .. my opponent is suddenly being aggressive this hand and raise my bet. I have a full house but they obviously have a better house than mine .. or theyre bluffing but iknow very well they are not bluffing from how theyve been playing the last hour.

But before my neurotransmiters have even sent any signal to any receptors of my body .. I push Call.

So that is just a scenario of the hundreds of thousands of times that I call a bet when ive already predicted the possible outcomes, but when its black and white .. its a bad habbit and I NEED TO break it immediatley.

(Its more annoying than 50missed calls from an ex 9months after the breakup, or some online gaming site that will change the location of their call in hopes you might answer.)

I could never understand why people go out of their way when they know their odds.

So please share with me your stories if your in or have been in the same boat as me, id Love to hear about it. -Yazmin, Pokerstars Rookie

you have to call , he may just have a 3 or a Q.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

irritating habit ..

you have to call, he may have just a 3 or maybe a Q, worst scenario he has QQ.

Flop- Q 3 3
Turn- J

So please share with me your stories if your in or have been in the same boat as me, id Love to hear about it. -Yazmin, Pokerstars Rookie

you have to call , he may just have a 3 or a Q.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I console myself in these moments by telling myself that I need to experience, win or lose.
The more hands, wins or loses is still an education of sorts.

I personally would have called with the Jack's, possibly re raised.

Thank you for your time.
:)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

irritating habit ..

Flop- Q 3 3
Turn- J

So please share with me your stories if your in or have been in the same boat as me, id Love to hear about it.

Try playing for a while where you never call.

Always raise. Really. Never ever call.

Do not play garbage when you do this. You can eventually but not yet.

You will win more pots.

And, you should get a feeling for when your opponent has you beat and you should fold and not raise.

Good luck !