Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear zinzir,
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]
I hope the time capsule finds you well. You are reading this letter because today is a special day, it's the first day you are playing poker. I know you will enjoy it and there will be other similar days to follow. I am you from the future trying to give you some advice I wish someone gave me on that day:
[/FONT]
- Read a couple of old and proven books and try to understand the universal poker concepts, memorization should never be your focus. My recommendation is Sklansky's trilogy: The Theory of Poker, Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. These books contain all the information you need and you can buy them used on Ebay for 3 dollars and change each.
[/FONT]
- Play following your instinct from day one. Yes, at the beginning your instinct will be just as inexperienced as you are, but hand after hand, hour after hour, and day after day, your instinct will become sharper and sharper. Stay in touch with your instinct constantly, making sure you don't lose this capital poker skill. Many advanced players struggle at the table because they have focused only on logic for a long time and got out of touch with their poker instinct.
[/FONT]
- Be bold, experiment wildly, and try to cut your own path and craft your own style. That can be perfectly achieved by playing freerolls and play money tables. You should gamble your first dollar after already being a consistent freeroll and play money winner, with many thousands of hands under your belt. Poker is not gambling unless you're making it so. If you feel happy playing and winning only if risking real money is involved, your chances to ever become an astute poker player are slim.
[/FONT]
- Never overestimate your poker skills, be honest with yourself and know your place. Treat better players with respect and consideration, and try to pick their brains and learn from them. But during play, never respect the better players, harass them instead, give them hell. Challenge them to pre flop wars where they are most vulnerable, check raise, semi bluff, and bluff them. If you can't be a shark at least be a donk, never a lamb.
[/FONT]
- Never get upset by things not under your control like bad beats, trash talk, angle shooting, slowrolls, or busting on the bubble.
- Be very upset when you realize you made a mistake due to not paying attention, poor judgment, or disregarding your instinct.
[/FONT]
- Read any poker book or article you want, but always fluently, just like a novel, and only pause and focus on certain passages to understand why the author is claiming or advising one thing or another, never to memorize. When you are reading, your instinct aka subconscious is also reading with you, and your subconscious remembers more than your conscientious mind anyway.
[/FONT]
- Do not submit yourself to courses or coaching unless somehow you win a free subscription. Not saying they are a waste of time, just that it's not a good idea to invest money upfront in exchange for an unquantifiable benefit later, while there are plenty other cheaper ways to obtain information readily available. Do not pay attention to testimonials, they are nothing but advertisement garbage.
[/FONT]
- Play, play, and then play some more. While reading or attending lectures, courses or coaching sessions might give you some knowledge or insight, the only way to gain experience is by playing. There is no substitute for it, playing is the number one way to get better at poker, bar none.

In the end, my dear self, I would like to give you three tips that are unrelated to poker:
- Keep an ample supply of N95 masks, Purell, and toilet paper in the house. Not only you will need those supplies one day, but you could also sell them for a hefty price on Ebay at that time.
- Never get married.
- Next Saturday's Powerball numbers are: 8 15 26 29 46 6*

Live long and prosper!

03e57df46837b81e2bba3e5b8b19b203.png

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love this! Hope some other members add letters they would write to themselves. I am crazy busy right now but I will add mine when I get time. :)

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I found the information helpful in reinforcing a lot of the decisions I've taken that may seem unconventional, including grinding at freeroll tables to learn the long and hard way. I truly believe its a necessary step before advancing onto real cash tables.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love this! Hope some other members add letters they would write to themselves. I am crazy busy right now but I will add mine when I get time. :)

Thank you for your kind words, Debi. I look forward to reading your letter. :)

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good and correct thoughts. To learn, one theory is not enough. It is always necessary to do something, so that later you are not upset about the deed not done.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OP has a high Poker IQ. He understands what it takes to be a player. CC members can learn from this post for sure!!!!!

Next thing you know he will be writing a book on how to prosper playing online poker without risking a penny!!!!

GO ZIN GO!!!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
zinzir

You are knocking it out of the park with recent posts. Completely agree with every point you made!

Play and play...and learn to trust yourself along the way.

I genuinely hope this post gets a lot of eyes on it.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazing bro!
Congratulations for this post.
I would like to ask you consent to translate it and share it with some friends. I will certainly put the author's name. ZINZIR.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP has a high Poker IQ. He understands what it takes to be a player. CC members can learn from this post for sure!!!!!

Next thing you know he will be writing a book on how to prosper playing online poker without risking a penny!!!!

GO ZIN GO!!!

Thank you for your kind words, perry, you always prop me up mate!

zinzir

You are knocking it out of the park with recent posts. Completely agree with every point you made!

Play and play...and learn to trust yourself along the way.

I genuinely hope this post gets a lot of eyes on it.

Thank you for your encouragement, and also for your thoughtful posts in my other threads. I'm always looking forward to your opinion about my statements.

Amazing bro!
Congratulations for this post.
I would like to ask you consent to translate it and share it with some friends. I will certainly put the author's name. ZINZIR.

Of course, my friend, as far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome to translate this or any of my posts and share with your friends.
I am just a simple member like you, and everything I say is just a statement of personal opinion intended for no commercial purpose whatsoever.
I have absolutely nothing to sell you or anyone else, no book giving you the key to crushing particular stakes, no course to teach you how to get rich playing poker, no coaching program that will take you dancing with the stars :)