okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Losing concentration is fatal.
If you stay focused there are timing, betting and style tells through out the tournament if we look for them.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the main mistakes consist of an incorrect assessment of the strength of your hand. When you see the pictures on hand (or the top pair) and do not correctly assess your chances relative to the bets on each line. When you can't overcome yourself and throw a good hand, but not the best combination on the table... It is impossible to play without mistakes, but the biggest disappointments come, not from unlucky, from your stupid decisions at the table, which you may not make, but you do not do them because you are too confident in yourself and do not want to take a step back, then to take a few steps forward;)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it was from the pro Alex Fitzgerald.
The simplest way to look at it just developing good and consistent habits. It's easier to cash than to run deep (one goal) easy to run deep than hit a final table etc.

I was with you up to the point when you mis-quoted the wrong pro.
That doesn't sound like anything Alex would EVER say. He's more like - build a big stack to make a deep run - or bust early and go catch a movie - kind of guy. Completely opposite of make the money first - then try to make a deep run.

And I agree with him - but your point is valid for sure if we are short and have basically no view of the final table with our tiny stack - try to min-cash.
But hopefully we are taking advantage of situations early and setting our self up in a position where we are not short to begin with. Making it into the money should be something that just happens - with our 40+bb stack it is a certainty. Yeah - we can't always be in that spot, but we should be playing hard not to be in the weak short stack situation limping into the min-cash and hoping for cards after we do.

Last edited:
Pripri1986

Pripri1986

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worst mistake i made was bluffing a hand in the final 7. Reason being saw this particular players cards in previous hands when cards were shown, and figured out he was raising all the time yet bluffing. Tried to bluff the bluffer and got caught out. Never again!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have won first places in big tournaments more than once. Playing on pokerstars with 1000, 2000, 3000 players and more.
The main mistake is fear when you throw everything away for the sake of a payjump. It is also bad to play too aggressively. You need to have a balance.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was with you up to the point when you mis-quoted the wrong pro.
That doesn't sound like anything Alex would EVER say. He's more like - build a big stack to make a deep run - or bust early and go catch a movie - kind of guy. Completely opposite of make the money first - then try to make a deep run.

And I agree with him - but your point is valid for sure if we are short and have basically no view of the final table with our tiny stack - try to min-cash.
But hopefully we are taking advantage of situations early and setting our self up in a position where we are not short to begin with. Making it into the money should be something that just happens - with our 40+bb stack it is a certainty. Yeah - we can't always be in that spot, but we should be playing hard not to be in the weak short stack situation limping into the min-cash and hoping for cards after we do.

Though it was few years ago (and I could be mistaken of course) I believe it was Alex Fitzgerald - so that is who I have always attributed it to.

The point being that banking on big scores to cover multiple buy ins is something which can ultimately catch up.

Outside of attributing the original quote, the reason I cite the idea is it makes sense for to someone such as myself. We are all not cut from the same cloth. If some are happy to play in a swashbuckling style and if it works then have at it. Others take a different route to cash.

I also said that goals need to be set for not just for cashing but reaching final tables. And of course someone responded directly to me that it made sense. So whether Fitzgerald or not, I am happy someone got something from the post.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Though it was few years ago (and I could be mistaken of course) I believe it was Alex Fitzgerald - so that is who I have always attributed it to.

The point being that banking on big scores to cover multiple buy ins is something which can ultimately catch up.

Outside of attributing the original quote, the reason I cite the idea is it makes sense for to someone such as myself. We are all not cut from the same cloth. If some are happy to play in a swashbuckling style and if it works then have at it. Others take a different route to cash.

I also said that goals need to be set for not just for cashing but reaching final tables. And of course someone responded directly to me that it made sense. So whether Fitzgerald or not, I am happy someone got something from the post.

Yeah for sure DS3. You added great input and sound logic to your view point. Hope you didn't take my response as a slant, I should of put in some smiley faces to make sure. :):):););):D:D

You are completely accurate with associating play style with personality and desire, if I'm correct in reading your - cut from cloth reference.
I believe it's important to have multiple weapons in our bag to defend and attack versus different opponents. In other words - I think it's vital not to play the same way all the time - so people can't TAG us as a certain player type. This makes us entirely unexploitable IMO - regardless of how we are playing, what cards we are holding, and who we are playing against.

But if its a choice for us to min-cash every event we play - or not cash at all for 20 events and then hit top 3 in the 21st event - the latter will most likely be 2x or more all the min-cashing in every event.

Still - I'm not discrediting your preferred method - like I (and you) said - personality and each situation in every event really dictates how we all play, how we approach bubbles and how we all try to improve.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yeah for sure DS3. You added great input and sound logic to your view point. Hope you didn't take my response as a slant, I should of put in some smiley faces to make sure. :):):););):D:D

You are completely accurate with associating play style with personality and desire, if I'm correct in reading your - cut from cloth reference.
I believe it's important to have multiple weapons in our bag to defend and attack versus different opponents. In other words - I think it's vital not to play the same way all the time - so people can't TAG us as a certain player type. This makes us entirely unexploitable IMO - regardless of how we are playing, what cards we are holding, and who we are playing against.

But if its a choice for us to min-cash every event we play - or not cash at all for 20 events and then hit top 3 in the 21st event - the latter will most likely be 2x or more all the min-cashing in every event.

Still - I'm not discrediting your preferred method - like I (and you) said - personality and each situation in every event really dictates how we all play, how we approach bubbles and how we all try to improve.

Thanks for the positive and engaging feedback.

Here's a confession. I have searched for that video clip before and tried again yesterday and could not find it. Obviously AF has produced a lot of content...

I agree with all you said. I am TAG and agree it is not good to play in the same manner session to session -other players will have you for breakfast!. And I agree with what you say regarding min cashing. Which is why I think it needs to be underlined that if doing so regularly it is imperative to then set goals regarding how often you final table.

Again, thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many of us have had the happiness of participating in tournaments and few to be among the last 10 winners, what mistakes do you consider lethal, that every player should avoid them?
considering that the pot has an excellent prize for the first 5 places:eek:

Don't call some shoves that the odds is in our favor and thus wasting the chance to become huge.

melaniaaachen

melaniaaachen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think overconfidence and a bad bluff ... this is what always fails me

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's about trying to play to the end with a single tone.
After all, the strategy should be changed at the end.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not understanding ICM is potentially the biggest mistake for tournament players.
Failure to understand difference in Chip EV and Dollar EV can lead to bad decisions.