Learning poker fish seeking for advice

L

lybushka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
I was introduced to poker a year ago by friends at holiday and liked it so much, that the last year in my freetime I was trying to learn the game. But, after a year, after severals strategy books, 16 hours/week playing I am break even in online games (actually slightly loosing - I have lost the pokerstars welcome bonus) and in live tourneys I am after 50 games 10 byins mimus (to be said the fee live is 20%). I feel I am confused by too many information which is out there and should start the learning ones more from the beginning...? I like the game, but only if I am a winning player, it is demotivating to be break even online. In live games I dont mind, thats rather fun I can pay for.
Please for some advice, what should be my next move!
Thanks

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello friend, I think that the way to be a successful player is to play, applying the strategies learned previously and at the same time continue studying and analyzing our hands; correcting our mistakes so as not to make them again.
I combine my game, sometimes I am aggressive depending on my hand and my stack and sometimes I have to be patient, the key is to have different strategies and know when to push, fold or call. Keep in mind that we will not always win.
For me, poker is like boxing, sometimes you take good shots but sometimes you have to go back, when we master our instincts we will be winners.
When I start a tournament and make good moves and increase my chips quickly, I try to keep them with me and bet with good hands, not to go crazy betting on all hands and lose almost all your chips that you had won.
My favorite hand is when I have a pair and I link the trio in the flop, there I raise strongly.
I do not risk linking stairs, if the villain makes a strong raise I fold.
You have to know how to manage the bankroll to not throw money.

If we play the right way and do not let ourselves be guided by emotion, the balance will eventually tip in favor of us. The percentage of wins will be greater than losses and will be reflected in our bankroll.

And follow the links that antonis32123 suggested to you in the previous comment

Last edited:
J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning from the mistakes you make is probably going to be the most valuable lesson, someone said that "luck is the residue of design" ... I think.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What games are you playing online? Some are easier to beat than others, and if you are struggling and getting demotivated, its important to go after the low hanging fruit first.

M

mpkr10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What games are you playing online? Some are easier to beat than others, and if you are struggling and getting demotivated, its important to go after the low hanging fruit first.

totally agree with this, also break even as a beginner is not that bad, keep studying, you will get there

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you need to have a passion for the game, when you have that you will understand its a long learning curve and it is not as hard loosing. If you are only in it for the money, I dont think you'll ever learn. Break-even the first year is very good i'd say.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our community is the best place for you. Here you can find a lot of useful information to improve your game. I recommend you to be an active member of our community Try to build a bankroll by playing our freerolls. In addition, thanks to our freerolls, you will be able to gain experience and improve your skills without any risk.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure what or how you study... watching winning players on twitch upped my game and i have 40 years in:) Competition which is plenty here helps develop your game... the league the freeroll club etc.. none of that is a cakewalk whatsoever !! tough players here serious players.... only books i read are harringtons.... i use a poker hud and use stats with both pokertracker 4 and sharkscope... i work on my game and adjust.... I pay attention to what I am doing and why and again biggest thing in poker is knowing to adjust your game AND KNOWING you even when OR IF you reach the top win HUGE you still will be learning this game. Its a commitment and its not for everyone.... 40 years my game is no where what it was 10 years ago:) Be honest with self.... I lost 80 bucks night before last first loss like that in 3 weeks... Been playing well up 500 on one new site.... up on another site and up 500 on us site that is biggest and has been thorn in side for a LONG TIME...... last night played 4 games blew one imho but i went for it had made 20 bucks already was a six k gtd 20 minutes of late reg left i had ak suited someone shoved i was middle pack like 35th out of 80 doubling up should put me into close to top 20.... he shoved with 7s they held.... I didnt have to play that hand but i had won and was getting itm in two other events so i gambled on big cards hitting cause they had been:) I feel threw that away but im honest with self and I WENT for it was hoping for a big win chips to target lower stacks etc... anyway that is the honesty you must have as a poker player..... go over what you coulda done differently... last night i made up 70 of the 80 i lost:) life is back to normal and i dont have to throw self off the bridge :)

L

lybushka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are only in it for the money, I dont think you'll ever learn. Break-even the first year is very good i'd say.

Thats nice to hear, that it is not as bad as I thought, that beeing break even in the first year is actually OK:) I am definitelly playing not for the money in the first place, but on the other hand I would like to be able to play 10USD tournaments and 3.5USD sit and go-s, where the prices are already interesting.

L

lybushka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Acually I didnt kept the BR management and I was trying diferent sort of plays to explore and find out, what would fit me the best. I know I beat 0.5 SNG at Pokerstars. I am not good in deepstack, so I was practising a lot 0.1/0.2 cashgame. There I am break even. And I tried 20 times Sunday Storm, about 100times 1, 2 or 3 dollars BIG tournaments. Sunday Storm I like a lot, but it takes very long till I everytime collect enough money from SNG to be able to pay the buy-in. And also I tried 13times 3.5 USD SNG, where I ended 5 USD in plus. I busted the BR mostly with the Sunday Storm and the 3,3USD BIG tournaments...

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HI!

Hello and welcome!
Sounds like you are on the right track and will be in big stacks in no time! If I were to offer a bit of humble advice.... try to fold many more hands than you play. It reduces the odds of getting donkey punched and also helps you observe the other players more effectively. Freerolls are tough because of so many people playing all in every hand. Just stay true to your style and be patient. I wish you the best of luck, my friend!
Hello everyone,
I was introduced to poker a year ago by friends at holiday and liked it so much, that the last year in my freetime I was trying to learn the game. But, after a year, after severals strategy books, 16 hours/week playing I am break even in online games (actually slightly loosing - I have lost the Pokerstars welcome bonus) and in live tourneys I am after 50 games 10 byins mimus (to be said the fee live is 20%). I feel I am confused by too many information which is out there and should start the learning ones more from the beginning...? I like the game, but only if I am a winning player, it is demotivating to be break even online. In live games I dont mind, thats rather fun I can pay for.
Please for some advice, what should be my next move!
Thanks

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never stop studying the game and play as much as possible ! Learn other game like PLO it will help your holdem game ..Good luck