Learning the math

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone recommend the best way to really learn in depth about learning how to quickly make +EV decisions everytime and determining if you have enough equity in a given hand to continue (call) or raise etc?

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is tough cause i mean if you looking basic odds this aint hard 52 cards in deck then extract your cards from deck to get it to 50 then do simple math your odds hit your outs add em up then take away opponets odds to kill u now once you go deeper into this realm of thought process you can do more extraction guess and try to get even better outlook on your implied odds if you can start guessing others peoples cards in games cards based on their fold ranges their so many levels to this game no one or computer can ever make it an exact perfect science but i wish i could smh

jerlasvegas

jerlasvegas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
This is a longterm task I recommend you to download some extra software about poker like ICMizer , Flopzila , Equilab etc. Or some HUDs have replayer so you can review and assess your play post session.

In situations against more than one opponents are are the more hard to do the math so the above programs are kinda must have. In push/fold situations are plenty graphs in order to know when a play is +/- EV

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I am also interested in this question. I think that understanding this will come with experience. In my opinion, you just need to try to play as often as possible.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sklansky's "No Limit Holdem, Theory & Practice", is a good start and easy reading. Hope that helps. Good luck!

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the answers...i do use pokerstove regularly and am trying hard to play enough where the math comes second nature...i am close to grasping this but there are just a few things i i dont understand...im trying to learn how to really apply the math to situations. Id like to understand better how to take pot odds and my equity of winning and applying it to each decision i i make...thanks for the links all

I have been studying alot of game theory optimal material and am starting to understand it i think

For example...if I have a flush draw after the flop, thats 9/47 or 19% chance of finishing my flush...if my opponent bets 8k into a 20k pot...that would be 8/28 or 28% equity therefore i having only 20% equity i should fold...but because of the implied odds i should still continue...im most interested in situations like this where its a hard decision to make...and even though the math says fold, the correct play is call...am i anywhere in The ballpark of the correct line of thinking or am i still missing something? I want to be able to do this one every hand where if i have a draw of any kind i can quickly figure out if and when im going to continue. Thanks guys

Last edited:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
For example...if I have a flush draw after the flop, thats 9/47 or 19% chance of finishing my flush...if my opponent bets 8k into a 20k pot...that would be 8/28 or 28% equity therefore i having only 20% equity i should fold...but because of the implied odds i should still continue...im most interested in situations like this where its a hard decision to make...and even though the math says fold, the correct play is call...am i anywhere in The ballpark of the correct line of thinking or am i still missing something? I want to be able to do this one every hand where if i have a draw of any kind i can quickly figure out if and when im going to continue. Thanks guys

Don't forget that poker in not only the math element is also against who you play. Some opponents barrel strong their draws or their second pair with a mediocre kicker. I do understand that you created that thread for the math element but I just wanted to add that it is not ''right'' to focus only on the strength of your hand.

Some times you must bluff with air in order to take down a pot which is 100% lost on the showdown. Don't lose the fun of the game concentrated only in the math part.

Good Luck!!

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for your answers and help i appreciate it a ton

Kappa79

Kappa79

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your article. thanks for the info

sissto

sissto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with some articles like here on CardsChat, but for more depth you have to use a book as previous mentioned :X

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is enough to master such actions as addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. If you successfully mastered these skills in school, then you will not encounter insurmountable obstacles along the way.