Learning from losses/bad beats?

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I often try to curb my frustration from an unexpected showdowns or event loss. This way I concider what mistake I made instead of blame on opponent. If I did my best (started wright hand/bet/time/reading) than it looks like a BENEFIT for myself. I lost the bank, but not the bankroll.
On the other side, if my round was wrong, and I understand this too late after showdown, it seems a benefit againe to make a learning for the future.

How do you manage your losses/bad beats?
(if you ever had:egg:) :smile:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I follow the bankroll management system and never spend more than I can afford. In general, I never spend more than $ 5 a day to participate in my favorite tournaments.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning or losing pushes me to analyze the game and reduce losses over time, make more positive decisions.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing motivates me to study. I also, only spend the amount I can afford to loose.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll management is everything, everything I don't have. I believe I am a losing player more for the lack of bankroll management than for my skills.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is everything, everything I don't have. I believe I am a losing player more for the lack of bankroll management than for my skills.

I believe that understanding of our weaknesses is an our strength.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get mad and go full tilt. Since that has never worked for me I should consider a different reaction.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
between losses and gains I keep playing, be it freeroll, spin go, cash, sitgo 0.02, the important thing is to evolve with mistakes and fight for improvements.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A single bad beat or wrong decision in one hand is not what leads to frustration. As you have already mentioned, it is even sometimes advantageous to make mistakes in order to recognize them and not to make them in the future - you learn and gain experience. The difficulty is in the number of bad beats or the constant loss of hands in which you were statistically better than your opponent. This leads to frustration, loss of self-confidence, loss of enjoyment of the game and (possibly) loss of confidence in the poker room. Although I know about variance, streaks of bad luck and bad beats, I'm currently having a difficult time because that's exactly what is happening. So I have to say goodbye to poker for a while because frustration easily turns into aggression. One possibility that I am seriously considering is to choose a new poker room and start playing there again after a "cooling off" phase with new confidence and fun. :smile:

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key to managing your losses/bad beats is to accept that players will lose more they win. Serious players attack variance through volume. By playing several tournaments, say, 4 or 5 at a time, they maximize their chances of finishing in the money is at least one tournament in that group. Using an aggressive approach when they get the good hands helps them to reach the bigger money prizes. For example, they play 4 mtts with a $2.20 entry fee. The entry fees total $11. If they finish out of the money in 4 then getting to the final table in the 5th mtt would help them turn a profit. Often they will min-cash in one or two and win a bigger prize in a 3rd making it even easier to build the bankroll.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key to managing your losses/bad beats is to accept that players will lose more they win. Serious players attack variance through volume. By playing several tournaments, say, 4 or 5 at a time, they maximize their chances of finishing in the money is at least one tournament in that group. Using an aggressive approach when they get the good hands helps them to reach the bigger money prizes. For example, they play 4 mtts with a $2.20 entry fee. The entry fees total $11. If they finish out of the money in 4 then getting to the final table in the 5th mtt would help them turn a profit. Often they will min-cash in one or two and win a bigger prize in a 3rd making it even easier to build the bankroll.

Thanks for this comment. Do they think if attack variance through volume is better than trough value? After all, it just increases bad beats/losses share, I think (sorry for my English). Good luck.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A single bad beat or wrong decision in one hand is not what leads to frustration. As you have already mentioned, it is even sometimes advantageous to make mistakes in order to recognize them and not to make them in the future - you learn and gain experience. The difficulty is in the number of bad beats or the constant loss of hands in which you were statistically better than your opponent. This leads to frustration, loss of self-confidence, loss of enjoyment of the game and (possibly) loss of confidence in the poker room. Although I know about variance, streaks of bad luck and bad beats, I'm currently having a difficult time because that's exactly what is happening. So I have to say goodbye to poker for a while because frustration easily turns into aggression. One possibility that I am seriously considering is to choose a new poker room and start playing there again after a "cooling off" phase with new confidence and fun. :smile:

Thanks for posting. Hope you come back at the table with a nice"cooled off" tune. Good luck.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker to me has always been a yearly game..I don’t focus on the win or the loss of the game, but the end of the year profits. If you are playing with skill, you will profit at the end of the year. Many do not like to look at it that way as it is not “glamours” but I am looking to play this game to make money, not get worked up over variance.

Also...variance works both ways.. not just bad beats/losses, you can have many upswings for months..again, it to me is just a yearly game. I have not been able to play live games due to Covid, but all wins and losses are going to be tracked and will continue to develop my skill until the profits increase.

I am just not one of those guys that gets his ego involved in a game that has an element of luck, I only have an ego about things I create such as creating videos, writing..photography etc. I’m just here to make money in the long run. Make no mistake, Poker is fun! But losing means nothing to me...or should say I do not take it personal. (Not anymore at least, wasn’t always the case! Lol)

Working on game leaks should be a priority instead of thinking about bad beats IMO..you do not accomplish anything by getting frustrated over bad beats, you (meaning anyone) accomplish more by working on your skill and improving each day at this very complex game.

Last edited: