KK vs players showing strength

champiomf

champiomf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi community this is something normal that is happening to me. But what factor would you fold a preflop KK when you see a lot of strength between 2 players.

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on what buyin, stats of the players you are battle to, stacksizes, etc.
What i mean to say is, without all the info on the tables at that moment, hard to say when i would fold.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are talking about tournaments - then this is of course a bubble.
If we are talking about cash tables, then KK should always be played.
At a distance a rally with a pair of kings still remains profitable.

champiomf

champiomf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was Cash against 2 players. we are 3 with 100 bb. I am the DL with KK. I open with 3cg and the SB resubes to 10cg and the BB resube allin. No stats from any of the 2. what do they do?

Last edited:
S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi community this is something normal that is happening to me. But what factor would you fold a preflop KK when you see a lot of strength between 2 players.

In general i never fold with KK pre-flop until and unless i see the flop. If Ace appears at flop and somebody showing lot of strength then i might think of folding. In most cases i will try to see the turn hoping for third K.

It is possible that someone might be holding AA but i find it difficult to assess them pre-flop even with their magnitude of raising.

I might consider folding with KK pre-flop only when i am near bubble in a tournament. The reason is obvious. I hate to go unpaid.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With KK, table position can be irrelevant if you are facing 2 players who are dominating the table and maybe have large chip stacks as these guys are going to call you down with pretty much anything..
If i am facing 1 opponent preflop, i am jammin, regardless of bubble, min cash or any other factor..
You have to look at the table ladder, who is at your table, the blind sizes as often you find if you dont jam with that hand, you can sure as hell bet your last dollar - the other short stacks would and this can backfire on you.
If its a cash table, i may elect to peel a flop but the danger here is any piece of the flop, a winning cash player will often look to exploit, if im facing a cash raise and i am heads up - im jamming, if i have a caller to come - its potentially a jam or fold situation for me..

Good thread and great scenario!

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on several factors. I think I would not always play the same way, depending on how many players are in the hand, the type of players that are and depends on how advanced the tournament is. Although it is a very strong hand KK if we face a very closed player and we raise all in, I would think twice haha. regards

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of times I came across a situation where my AKs lost all-in against AJ. Therefore, I see no reason to fold a couple of kings. Moreover, this is my favorite hand.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's impossible make any analisis without to define a range for your villain or each situation, just like this you will to know if you need to call, raise for value or bluff (even KK) or fold. I consider the skill of put a villain in a range the harder part of game, because doesn't matter how many forums, videos, lessons, coaches you have studied, you have to have some personal qualities to be skilled on it. I really recommend studying poker math so you will get in a infinite world of logical on poker, determining ranges and searching for better choices.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once on the bubble, I had to fold a pocket pair KK on the preflop. It was the weekly tournament pokerstars for Bronze Star. It was a difficult decisions for me, but I got into the prize zone.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament play KK is probably the best hand preflop. I'd play it, the bubble would give me some pause, depends on what I know about the players. Good luck.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on your game, in my case it would not fold in cash game, in tournaments I would consider throwing them in the bubble, but usually if 2 players re-raise it is to send All-in pre-flop and not give them the advantage of flipping on the flop . Well that in my case:rolleyes:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is cash. I would play it without much doubt even if Aces appears you beat them 20% of time anyways. That being said it is more likely that you have a 65% 35% on your hands. If they shove through post flop as bluff see a flop and if no ace shows up check raise their aggression.

kokoalexkoko

kokoalexkoko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this no matter. Very important stage and tournament icm!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When we begin to play, we think poker is a simple game, we think we can win with simple strategies, but nowadays even in microlimits we can see some good players, so to be a winner in poker implies to have a large bag of information that we get by studying and playing commited.

i-only-know-that-i-know-nothingsocrates.jpg

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was Cash against 2 players. we are 3 with 100 bb. I am the DL with KK. I open with 3cg and the SB resubes to 10cg and the BB resube allin. No stats from any of the 2. what do they do?

Against 2 unknown players KK is a hand I put all my chips in the middle everytime.

I'm not going to fold KK in many cash game situations regardless of the villains because tight players will play QQ the same as AA at a cash game.

Certain satellite and bubble situations may call for a KK fold but not in a cash game and certainly not against 2 unknowns.

champiomf

champiomf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the comments in general !! In short KK is a premium hand and we have to get all the juice we can!

N

newbypoker777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can say that Iv'e never folded KK online (except once on a sat bubble).
In LIVE cash games I managed to fold KK three times and I was against AA at all three times (folded the kings face up). Only very strong live reads and history with players can make me lay this hand down

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I am all-in pre-flop with KK, but when it is bubble time I will usually fold to aggressive betters, (and remember them for later).

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reset monster hand is very very difficult. There are two situations where I can lose kk
The first situation is when the cards on the table show a clear straight draw or flush draw, my opponent makes bets on which it’s hard for me not to answer. I understand that he is trying to use his potential to the max.
And the second situation is when my opponent makes 4-5 raises, he reraises me with a raise. This shows that he probably has aa

J

johnbrazon42

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Almost impossible to fold in a cash game, but during a tournament it all depends on chip stacks and your place in the tourney. I would go allin either way cause it IS Kings.

champiomf

champiomf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if there are many players going there before my hand reaches KK, I would go because there is a possibility that there will be some with a pair of Aces. Ahem; UTG + 2 players allin you have less 30% to win preflop- a bit conservative but against 3 players I think it would be right

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK is my curse hand but i would go all in regardless of if i am early, middle or late stage of a tourney, close to the bubble you have higher fold equity. Also preflop the only hand beating you is AA which sometimes happens, thats poker. If you get called and double up youre in great shape to go on and place highly, instead of 'just making the money' to get paid a small amount. Its a risk you have to take.
Also think what hands are opening and 3 betting here, it could be 99+ or ak aq ajs maybe, if they have an ace each then theres less chance of an ace coming out so youre in even better shape. If someone thinks this is wrong please say why as i am no pro but an easy shove for me and im a tight player!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cash or tournament im shoving with KK preflop. the only time i fold is if i have a good read on the players and i know its AA. the only other time i fold is in a satellite tournament and im close to the bubble and i know i have enough chips to be ITM

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some things to think about in this spot.
your raise as the dealer is considered a non-raise, SB could be raising you with nothing with the idea that you are only raising because you are on the button. The BB shoving is troublesome but you have to play the averages, your going to be ahead enough times in that scenario to call the all in.

One last thought: Daniel Negreanu said he would NEVER FOLD KK PREFLOP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS. Apparently, he did it once during a MTT and it turned out the other guy had QQ. :)