Keeping it simple

L

lastresort

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So much information available it is hard to decipher what to pay attention to and what to not. I am not new to the game of poker but I am new to the online world which in itself is a new game all together. I am seeking some advice regarding

bankroll Management and Mindset

I would like to play the .02 .03 NL micro games. Min buy is $2.50 max buy $5.00. What is a sufficient bankroll amount I need to play this game? What are some common strategies? Say, you double your money in an hour, do you stop playing and go back at it the next day or do you keep playing until the tables turn. Or lets say you lose your buy in rather quickly do you walk away and come back when your head is right.

Any other bankroll/mindset strategies to turn a losing player around into a winning player?

I am sure there is no right or wrong answer to this but curious about opinions.

Also, what does the terminology 1.5bb/100 hands mean? I see that used a lot and would like to know.

Thank you in advance.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can find different bankroll suggestions but it really depends on what you're comfortable with. Stopping if you win or lose a certain amount is really pointless unless having won or lost that amount prevents you from playing your best. 1.5bb/100 is a winrate of 1.5 big blinds per 100 hands.

L

lastresort

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!!

I guess the walking away if I win or lose is a mindset issue? When I lose my bankroll it is almost always due to tilt.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most advices tell us, you should have 100 times the max buy-in, in your case 500$And you should set limits and KEEP TO it. let-s say for example after 6 max buy ins lost, you have to accept that it is not your day, and leave the tables. and after winning 3 Buy ins you deserve a break, good job done for today. The amounts are just fictional, but somehow like that should keep you free from tilting in either ways. (Bad Beats and Glorious, I am the man, today I can't loose feelings)

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play the amount you are confortable with. If you feel pressure with the buy in price, better not play it. Will affect your game. Even when you increase your game, earnings and amount. Always play with a buy in you can afford and if you loose will not be and issue on your life and bills. Poker first you need to be relaxed and focus on the game. Those high rollers most of them started with low buy in.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So much information available it is hard to decipher what to pay attention to and what to not. I am not new to the game of poker but I am new to the online world which in itself is a new game all together. I am seeking some advice regarding

Bankroll Management and Mindset

I would like to play the .02 .03 NL micro games. Min buy is $2.50 max buy $5.00. What is a sufficient bankroll amount I need to play this game? What are some common strategies? Say, you double your money in an hour, do you stop playing and go back at it the next day or do you keep playing until the tables turn. Or lets say you lose your buy in rather quickly do you walk away and come back when your head is right.

Any other bankroll/mindset strategies to turn a losing player around into a winning player?

I am sure there is no right or wrong answer to this but curious about opinions.

Also, what does the terminology 1.5bb/100 hands mean? I see that used a lot and would like to know.

Thank you in advance.

I'm of the opinion that once you get the basics of math and odds down and are at least knowledgable about the basics of hand rankings, odds (drawing odds, pot odds), positional awareness, and a decent pre-flop starting hand understanding then your next area of work should be on tilt, mental game, and emotional control within the game.

One thing that's been working for me a lot for example is what Jared Tendler (Mental Game of Poker author) calls injecting logic. So you identify and label when a negative thought comes into your mind or anger, or tilt feelings, or any emotion or thought which has you thinking or feeling in a way that distracts you from the game (or worse causes you to make plays that are not solid based on odds, table dynamics). Once identified and labeled ("of course the next card won't be my draw card! It never is! - negative expectation based on negative thinking), you inject logic and remind yourself that "well sometimes the card comes and sometimes it doesn't, I know roughly 1 of 3 times the draws on average will come") which resets your thinking and gets you back focused on what actually matters: playing the game soundly rather than with emotion or flawed thinking.

As for BRM, most will say around 20 buy ins for a level to be comfortable minimum, so for a $5 max buy in, $100 bankroll. Always buy in full. If you're comfortable taking risks early on, then you can play riskier rolls at low stakes (i.e. I'm grinding up from 5NL using an 8 BI shot to 10NL and 10BI shot to 25NL with move downs as needed) and then be more conservative at higher stakes (i.e. easier to replace $200 roll then a $2000 roll for most people).

As for bb/100 or BB/100 , bb/100 is big blinds won per 100 hand while BB/100 is big bets (usually 2x the big blind) won per 100 hands.

But def work on tilt and emotional control and reminding yourself that math, position, story making sense as to opponent moves, and odds matter, not thoughts or feelings in poker decisions.

L

lastresort

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, if you are playing in a room that isnt anonymous like bovada. Is it necessary to have a hud to be successful?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surviving micro stake cash games

The big difference I've seen is that you should play much tighter at micro stakes then you would in a tourney or even in higher stake cash games. The reason why is because a LOT of people playing micro stakes are playing tight and actually very good poker just because they are afraid of losing what little bankroll they have that caused them to play the micro stakes. If they play a hand odds are they have something decent. Unlike in higher stakes where you have gamblers who just deposited enough to play those stakes and are trying to win as much as possible as fast as possible by playing loose and aggressive.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I lose 3 buy-ins in one day, I take a break from poker the rest of the day. Sometimes it just makes sense to not sit in the bad seat and give away money. If I am having a winning day at the tables, I hear you keep sitting until your butt hurts, because I only have like 3 winning days a month.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that's been working for me a lot for example is what Jared Tendler (Mental Game of Poker author) calls injecting logic. So you identify and label when a negative thought comes into your mind or anger, or tilt feelings, or any emotion or thought which has you thinking or feeling in a way that distracts you from the game (or worse causes you to make plays that are not solid based on odds, table dynamics). Once identified and labeled ("of course the next card won't be my draw card! It never is! - negative expectation based on negative thinking), you inject logic and remind yourself that "well sometimes the card comes and sometimes it doesn't, I know roughly 1 of 3 times the draws on average will come") which resets your thinking and gets you back focused on what actually matters: playing the game soundly rather than with emotion or flawed thinking.

Thank you man! This is really helpfull. I am trying to work on my mental game right now, glad you posted this. Thanks for the effort!