Just finished Caro's Book of Tells

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even though Caro's Book of tells is somewhat dated, I think that it is a good read for any live player that is new to game, or the poker enthusiast looking to go back to basics to find an edge in their game. For the exclusive online player, there will be little advantage gained by reading this book, as it predates online poker (1984). You can find a PDF by Googling the title. You can also find Caro's videos based on the book on YouTube. The book is quite easy reading, no math concepts explored, and has less that 160 pages, with lots of pictures, diagrams, and sample hands. The end of the book comes with a review and quiz for pre-game prep or a refresh.

The book goes over the body language and psychology experienced by poker players when playing a hand which can be observed and used to determine the strength or weakness of that player's hand based on what type of person/player they are. It is easy to watch poker on TV with a table full of stone dead robotic pros and think this type of information went out with bell bottoms. However, the most profitable games that any poker player could ask for is full of weak players; fish, drunks, people just looking to gamble or make a bluff like something they have seen on the movies, and it never ceases to amaze me how even some things published in the 80's can go right over their heads.

Reading this book will give you more to consider, along with the pot, stacks, blinds, your holdings and odds, when facing a decision at the poker table that may help you extract extra money from your opponent, or save you extra by making a good fold against the better hand. Reading this with 'Super System' can give you a better idea on classic poker technique, and the basis for newer poker strategy. Another user here mentioned that 'How To Read Hands at No-Limit Hold'em' by Ed Miller goes well with this book.

Also, I am going to be starting a new poker book soon. If anybody would like to get in on a study group let me know!

Last edited:
D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I have this book in my bookshelf but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should :D It's true what you said that books written even tens of years ago can be quite spot-on. That's probably because even though game changes, the basics stay the same and after all, especially when it comes to tells, human behavior doesn't change that much. We still get shaky hands, red faces and/or fast heartbeat when something scary or exciting is going on. You just need to learn to figure out what those tells mean for everyone.

I am really glad that we live in time where we have so much knowledge close at hand, and it's up to everyone themselves whether they use that in their favor or ignore the perfect learning opportunity. Every book you read, gives you something to think about. Even bad ones, if the reader is smart enough to question what they have read.

Study group by the way sounds quite amazing so can you open that up a little bit what you have in mind?

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I have this book in my bookshelf but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should :D It's true what you said that books written even tens of years ago can be quite spot-on. That's probably because even though game changes, the basics stay the same and after all, especially when it comes to tells, human behavior doesn't change that much. We still get shaky hands, red faces and/or fast heartbeat when something scary or exciting is going on. You just need to learn to figure out what those tells mean for everyone.

I am really glad that we live in time where we have so much knowledge close at hand, and it's up to everyone themselves whether they use that in their favor or ignore the perfect learning opportunity. Every book you read, gives you something to think about. Even bad ones, if the reader is smart enough to question what they have read.

Study group by the way sounds quite amazing so can you open that up a little bit what you have in mind?
2 or more people on here come to an agreement on what book to read. Depending on the book, we break it down into sections in chapters or pages, read the section in a designated period (e.g. days, a week or less), and then we can have a designated thread to comment about what we have read, and how to apply it in our game.

I think it would be beneficial to pick up on things you might have missed on otherwise, writing about what you read helps to burn in into your memory, and by not doing it with our close poker peers, we can use our new knowledge and strategy to exploit them.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like if there could be a revision to this book for 2018, you would have to put in a chapter on 'Players with Cell Phones!'. One thing I noticed in the last live game I played was how a players tendency to be drawn to their cell can be a tell on how involved they are in a game.

I had a phone junkie sat to my left, and you could tell when he was on his cell phone before action came his way, he was out of the hand before the play came to him, so you could sneak into more flops without being raised by him. When his cell got put away, you knew to stay out unless you hand really good holdings.

Poker Tells