Just cannot capture the big one

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been playing poker for 10 years. Won a few tournaments but just cannot win the big one. Every single of tournament played busted out either out kicked, bad beats or just cannot power opponent off hand.

How do you deal with constant losing even though gameplay is solid enough?

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The games are always getting tougher. Have to adapt to overcome.
Maybe there are a couple adjustments you can make to improve your game.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain
aa vs ak flop is 235 turn 4...split pot
jj vs 99 and t7, they get straight
set of 5's vs aa on flop, a on river
I just cant win
i'm thinking of not playing at all

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, poker is not only skill, but also luck. Phil Hellmuth talks a lot about it. If you have a good skill, and all your losses are caused by bad luck, then I recommend trying to change the discipline. MTT tournaments are very dispersive, try sng or heads up.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been playing poker for 10 years. Won a few tournaments but just cannot win the big one. Every single of tournament played busted out either out kicked, bad beats or just cannot power opponent off hand.

How do you deal with constant losing even though gameplay is solid enough?

Most of us want to be as lucky as this guy:

https://www.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/PokerStars/players/Lucky_Jew_17

winning 1st place in SUnday Million in March and then again in April is something that most of us want to do, right?

But more often reality looks like this: Recent final table of Sunday Million at pokerstars:

Last 5 players:
1st place: Brasilian player with blocked stats
2nd place: Russian player with -$3500 record during 3 years. Qualified through satellite for $109 ticket. won 89K
3rd place: Brasilian player with positive record after 15K tourneys..
4th place; German player with blocked stats
5th place: German player with -$15000 record during 7 years..

So... that 5th place winner spent 15K during 7 years and finally won $35K at that final table.

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this was a 6 month sample id say bad luck but over 10 years there has to be some leaks in your game that you havent worked on. Do you study often or rely on skills you learned when you started and skills aquired from playing? the game is always evolving and you can be a great poker player but if everyone else is a little better than being great isnt enough. The way to win is to know more poker than your opponents and you should be studying constantly a good portion of your time and i promise you will see results. I'd reccomend going through Upswing Poker Course. You'll learn things you didnt even know you had to learn. You said you cant win even tho gameplay is solid enough and i think thats a huge mistake. when you get to a point where you think youre good enough thats when you stop trying to get better and everyone else passes you.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve won ~~40ish MTTs and none have been over $350. I’m still waiting for that big win.

I admit, there’s a bit of jealousy when I see players hit those big MTT wins playing the same stakes I do. My main goal on CC’s record of big wins. Or even the small wins, but I just haven’t hit anything significant or worthy of being on there by my standards.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wouldn't worry about it. I mean look how many people besides usain bolt and that Phelps swimmer have prevented people from being a champion. Be glad you got to be in the race. When it gives you a chance you take your best shot or quit racing. Congrats on your wins. A lot of folks have never experienced even that.

And if u want some helpful advice, which you did elicit, in my opinion a person who puts in 80 hours a week to the sport has a better chance of success than someone who can devote only 80 hours a month.

Very nice goal of trying to get on CC's list of big winners, that makes you hungry and should help u in your goal.

Even making the monthly or yearly CC leaderboard on one or more poker sites would be a good shorter term goal.

Last edited:
J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come back stronger!You are missing some component who is impending you to win big.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us want to be as lucky as this guy:

https://www.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/PokerStars/players/Lucky_Jew_17

winning 1st place in SUnday Million in March and then again in April is something that most of us want to do, right?

But more often reality looks like this: Recent final table of Sunday Million at PokerStars:

Last 5 players:
1st place: Brasilian player with blocked stats
2nd place: Russian player with -$3500 record during 3 years. Qualified through satellite for $109 ticket. won 89K
3rd place: Brasilian player with positive record after 15K tourneys..
4th place; German player with blocked stats
5th place: German player with -$15000 record during 7 years..

So... that 5th place winner spent 15K during 7 years and finally won $35K at that final table.

baah tournaments can really be nerving in that way. no wonder some just prefer to master cash games for their time. they say it has a higher payout but variance is also bigger