Jacks vs. Tens

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now some of you may know, I like to play rather tight and aggressive in my poker, which means fold a lot of hands whenever I'm in early or middle position until I get Aces, King, Queens, Jacks, Tens or AK-suited. However when I'm in late position relatively speaking, I would either limp in or even raise on the button with hands you wouldn't expect to see such as any pocket pair (which I often tend to play pretty much regardless of position but I only call, unless I'm faced with an all-in), suited connectors or even 7-2 suited.

Now there are two particular pocket pairs that I am more careful with, both I consider premium hands. Jacks and Tens. The latter I somehow win more often with than I do the former. Statistically, Jacks is a stronger hand and a favorite over Tens but realistically, I tend to win MORE with Tens than I do with Jacks.

I still win a lot of times with Jacks even though I somehow win more with Tens because I tend to hit my third ten either on the flop or even by the river.

How can I in cash games improve my win rate with the allegedly dreaded premium pair that gets too much bad rap? Even though I win more with Tens, how can I improve my play with that hand as well? I usually face a raise sometimes followed by a caller or two.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think jacks and tens play better in a tournament when you are short stack in particular, you can shove it and you would have a decent equity everytime and wont have any blockers so others will probably call.

In cash games these hands are tricky because an overcard on the table and you are gonna sweat, its basically set mining or avoiding any overcards on the table.

You could raise with this definitely in all positions, 3-bet sometimes as bluff etc, overall jacks and tens are pretty much at the mercy of the community cards imo.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused: most of the time I just as confused as the next person. Use your knowledge and act on your gut if it works ha.

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a hand only wins a small % of the time more that will make any variance seem like truth