Is it possible to make good results in poker without studying GTO?

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Most poker players throw around the term GTO without understanding what it means or how it applied, So is it possible for someone to be naturally talented enough at this game to make a good living without studying GTO for hundreds and thousands of hours?
In my opinion i wouldn't say impossible, but you put yourself at a massive disadvantage if you don't at least try to understand theory these days.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for about 7 years. I never used any additional statistical programs, never delved into special terms, and generally did not complicate anything for myself. But I probably always had other goals. I played just for fun and that was my main motivation. Despite this, I have pretty good results, and overall I get a regular income from the game. It's a small income, but it's still money :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe GTO assumes the other players are competent. Against bad players at the lowest levels you are better off making exploitive plays vs. them. If you play GTO vs. someone who doesn't really know what they are doing, you are just over complicating things and screwing yourself up.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimal Game Theory”
It is an “optimal” game strategy against which the opponent has no way of playing in the hope of winning.

This does not mean that the EV of this strategy corresponds to the maximum EV because it is necessary to exploit the villain's weak points in order to obtain a maximum.

If we look for a known example of GTO in the world of Poker, we immediately think of Nash's Push or Fold charts which give us the optimal hand ranges to play in a given game situation.

For every decision you need to make while playing, there is a GTO solution. Obviously, it is very complex to calculate each GTO decision for each situation because there are many different situations and possibilities in Poker, and this is why professional players rely on software like Piosolver.

Of course, no one plays GTO 100% because that would be a mistake. Every poker player moves away more or less, which means that we can exploit our opponents' mistakes

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can win without playing GTO. To me it feels like most players are misusing GTO, they should be utilizing exploitable strategies before unexploitable strategies.

If the villan folds to min raises too much, you should min raise steal and exploit him. You do not need to make an unexploitable shove.

The play at 10k buyins is going to be much harder to exploit than freerolls where players are still limping to sitters.

Ideally you exploit the players you can- and the rest you can use GTO on.

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, certainly poker is harder these days since everyone knows the minimum, but i think that with a little experience to balance you can be profitable in poker even not reading much about it.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
GTO is the starting point. The way players deviate is the exploit.

Online over 100 dollars NLH buy-in you must at least know GTO.

In Live Poker you can play "exploitation poker" without knowing how to spell game theory optimal.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
i think with out learning poker GTO you do not understand what you must do in what situation and in long distance you lose your stack

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Does GTO include the use of deep thinking solvers? In my mind these people are techies not poker masters (which I am neither).

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Does GTO include the use of deep thinking solvers? In my mind these people are techies not poker masters (which I am neither).
yes GTO include the use of deep thinking solvers. hahah we are not poker masters the majority of us ( I mean 99%).

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I don't think GTO works at the micros and even low stakes. A good solid ABC poker is good enough to beat at this level