It could be good to fold even if you have the equity and pot odds.

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
If you have 35% equity and pot odds says you only need 30% then it could still be better to fold.
Because your equity isnt that much higher than what is required. You also have to think about rake.
And maybe the villain is tough, not necessarily better than you, but you could definitely make some mistakes and end up on spots you're not sure what is best decision. So you could end up playing the end hand overall much more -EV than just folding preflop even though it would have been in that vacuum more +ev to call than fold.

Maybe you are really smart when you think a lot but maybe you are unbalanced when thinking so long time and giving timing tells.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Having 35% equity when you are paying 30% is a sweet spot to be in. That would be like having 17 outs with one card to come. I’ll take this deal all day.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have 35% equity and pot odds says you only need 30% then it could still be better to fold.
Because your equity isnt that much higher than what is required. You also have to think about rake.
And maybe the villain is tough, not necessarily better than you, but you could definitely make some mistakes and end up on spots you're not sure what is best decision. So you could end up playing the end hand overall much more -EV than just folding preflop even though it would have been in that vacuum more +ev to call than fold.

Maybe you are really smart when you think a lot but maybe you are unbalanced when thinking so long time and giving timing tells.
You bring up a good point that many players miss when thinking of equity -that of EQR whic is Equity Realization--how much of our equity can we realize in any given situation- or to put it simply- how easy will it be for us to see all 5 board cards

This is a very important point in NL because our Villain can bet so large on the flop or turn denying us some of our equity

:unsure::geek:

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think you can think in these terms due to variance. It’s not an exact science.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you have equity more then pod odds you must call and play one more street. It is my opinion

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
just play high if you like it and want to play and try your luck do it won't fall out what you need to throw away on the next street and there's no problem you'll lose, start a new game just play for fun because many players win don't even consider the pot and equity chances, they just press the button to level and win for luck such players play against me

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
....or maybe you're playing scared and giving up all kinds of equity😎👍

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good comment.

Sometimes we rely on certain statistics, but fail to consider other components and this can put our game at a loss.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wait for better equity. So many times after I fold , you have 4 and 5 better hands to work with, but so much got wasted chasing a 5pct equity hand so you are low on chips and the 4 and 5 good hands that you win with just gets you back to even if you would have played that hand and lost.

Trust your gut. Sometimes you have to trust your own judgment, as you have to live with the consequences.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I think you should take up another hobby if you are hesitant to gamble when the odds are in your favor.

Maybe bird-watching is safe enough.

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
I think you should take up another hobby if you are hesitant to gamble when the odds are in your favor.

Maybe bird-watching is safe enough.
I think you should take up blackjack or roulette if you don't know that poker is about winning hands. How are you going to win? you know there are 3 streets you have to get by to get to showdown? In poker there are many things to think about, it's not so simple like blackjack.

Blackjack can let you gamble without having to study poker.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As I like to take risks, without a doubt I would go all in, even if it costs me to leave, but the important thing is your decision, I don't like to imagine the famous (if I would have risked)

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Folding in Poker