Interesting Hand - 79s

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big face cards - see them all the time in those big pre-flop pots, But, where do they stack up against a plain old, middle of the road, suited gapper?

Well as it turns out, not very well:

a50da7ca73a98ecc5c0e74f876b21671.png

I'll take your KQs and your AQs and give you one 97s. Sounds fair.

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
79s is a very strong hand if played correctly. If you're facing a decent raise with a couple callers, it could be a good spot to play it. You likely have live connected cards against face cards.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting stuff. TIL
But I seriously doubt I'm ever gonna get 97s in pre flop against three shoves unless I have an M ratio of 1 or 2 lol

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd never used any software but now i know why 79s is among my favorites cards. What TheDude said and it's highly unlikely that someone's going to put you on 79, it's a silent killer with decent odds

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow wish I’d seen this before the Freeroll this past Sunday. LOL I lost with KQ against 89s. :p

R

RedbeardFishing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Blockers

The reason why 79s is such high equity here, is likely because the other hands have blockers, meaning they are unlikely to hit because they have each others outs. Also, KQ is obv an underdog vs AK, & AQ is also an underdog.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yea. I dont feel comfortable.
My 79s usually loses to a higher straight, cards 56810J on the board and someone has Q9 in their hand.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
Well it is risky , while you think the 3 of them are killing each other odds one of them could have pocket AA , KK , QQ , so even when you hit a low board you are still in a terrible situation , so better not put yourself in situation where you will have to do a really hard decision )

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the example your giving AQ KQ are in such bad shape because of AK, if you put AK vs 3 suited gappers it does just fine. Hu AK AQ KQ are all 60%+ favourites vs 97s.

Lm9PTgb.jpg

And once you start running other types of flops you can see AK does well vs likely ranges and the gappers do quite badly.But you need to remember to run ranges for each villains position as you cant pin them on one holding unless were just analyzing the result of a hand.

Pm3VNFr.jpg

Last edited:
weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
With the example your giving AQ KQ are in such bad shape because of AK, if you put AK vs 3 suited gappers it does just fine. Hu AK AQ KQ are all 60%+ favourites vs 97s.

Lm9PTgb.jpg

And once you start running other types of flops you can see AK does well vs likely ranges and the gappers do quite badly.But you need to remember to run ranges for each villains position as you cant pin them on one holding unless were just analyzing the result of a hand.

Pm3VNFr.jpg
I think he was talking about multi way pots when villains got the same half cards and kill each other odds only.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You get a big stack at the table, then it's a playable hand for you. Cards 79 are not blocked by other hands from the list. You got a pair on the flop, but most opponents put pressure with an AK or AQ hand. This is the psychology of people.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he was talking about multi way pots when villains got the same half cards and kill each other odds only.

Multi way with a high spr suited connectors play well but generally it isn't going to be in the best case scenario vs KQ AQ AK.

Another thing to point out is your going to make a lot of second best draws when it comes to flushes and straights. And 2 pair vs sets , trips vs full houses so just a lot of second best hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the interest is pleasant, but only until the moment when any of the opponents hit the pair then it will be very difficult for us!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the interest is pleasant, but only until the moment when any of the opponents hit the pair then it will be very difficult for us!

+1 When you hit a 9 high flush and get raised a 9 high flush doesn't look so good

P

Philwalmsley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
7-8 suited

not a big fan of 7-9 but I am a fan off 7-8 suited, 7-9 never works form me tbh. As for the 7/8 your more likely to hit especially if there are 3-4 playing! I figured they are all playing picture cards or maybe low pair so look out for someone who hits a set! I’ve been all in with my 7-8 loads of times and won the hand love it 😍

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranges and position.

Lm9PTgb.jpg

Pm3VNFr.jpg

Thank U 4 Responding.

Great job demonstrating a more effective way of analyzing ranges. We all should be trying to think this way about ranges.

Can you recommend how to study effective range analysis?

Thank U again.

:):)

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True..lol the odds are good on this situations but not ever its a good choice. Interesting post! Thanks! SATs!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Responding.

Great job demonstrating a more effective way of analyzing ranges. We all should be trying to think this way about ranges.

Can you recommend how to study effective range analysis?

Thank U again.

:):)

You can try these videos that have some good info on how to use flopzilla for range analysis. And you have some default ranges on cardschat i think if you search or you can find some on poker snowie. Or if you want something more advanced you can try a solver like pio solver (has a free version) which builds range trees automatically for you to study correct lines to take.

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can try these videos that have some good info on how to use flopzilla for range analysis. And you have some default ranges on cardschat i think if you search or you can find some on poker snowie. Or if you want something more advanced you can try a solver like pio solver (has a free version) which builds range trees automatically for you to study correct lines to take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_9ZZa22pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz_pfYK5Tok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvVIeqz4SE

Thank you very much. This is great and I will check out your other suggestions as well.

:)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands